Brewing science grad's brewery set to open tasting room Friday

A Georgia tasting room will soon open its doors to the thirsty community.

Omaha Brewing Company, located in Omaha, Georgia, approximately 45 minutes away from Auburn, will host a grand opening for its tasting room Friday, April 1, and Saturday, April 2. Tours and tastings run from 5–10 p.m. Friday and 2–11 p.m. on Saturday.

Rob Lee, marketing director and Auburn alumnus, said his father, Robert Lee, bought the brewery in December 2012. They began producing test batches of beer in 2013 and began distributing to the public in 2014.

"We've been around for a while," Lee said. "We started in Columbus first."

The company recently started distributing in the Atlanta area, and Lee hopes to expand to Alabama soon.

Lee said Georgia's laws prohibit customers from buying beer directly from the bewery. 

"You can't actually walk in and buy any beer," Lee said.

The brewery charges for tours and "tastings," which are limited to 36 ounces, or three 12-ounce servings of beer total.

Lee was a member of the first class to graduate from Auburn's brewing science program. He said his experience in the program, coupled with learning from brewmaster Nick Fowler, helps him understand every facet of the business and be more knowledgeable than the typical salesperson.

"Knowing every little thing helps," Lee said.

The tasting room will feature two bars. The brewery features 16 beers, with three core brands that are available year-round. Lee said they also have 28 acres of muscadine and hope to start experimenting with wine soon.

"It's definitely growing," Lee said. "We're the only production brewery in southwest Georgia."

Lee is expecting a good turnout and said he received a positive response on social media from people he knows in the Auburn Brew Club and HomeBrew of Columbus.

"Really, I expect folks to come out and have a good time and taste our beers," Lee said.

Share and discuss “Brewing science grad's brewery set to open tasting room Friday” on social media.