Downtown Opelika is growing

The quaint city of Opelika has been a part of Alabama history since the late 1800s. Throughout time, people have watched as what started as a swamp land became a booming city full of new development.

The majority of the growth seen in Opelika is occurring specifically downtown.

The John Emerald Distilling Company recently opened its doors to the Opelika community and specializes in serving locally made spirits.

“We named this company after our forefathers who ventured to America from Scotland,” said Jimmy Sharp, owner of John Emerald Distilling Company.

Sharp said his ancestors have lived lives of integrity, honoring God, their fellow man and their family.

“It is important to keep downtown Opelika on the rise,” Sharp said. “We have so much to offer downtown, and so far the community has been really accepting of the new businesses opening up downtown.”

Tours of John Emerald Distilling Company are available to the public on Thursday–Saturday.

Red Clay Brewing Company is also new to the downtown Opelika scene.

The brewery has its roots “firmly entrenched in the South” since the founders of the company were all raised in Opelika. The red clay that is well-known to the Opelika area of the South became a natural name for the business.

The brewery serves its house made, Opelika-infused beers to the city and has been well-received since opening.

“The Opelika community is great,” said John Corbin, founder of Red Clay Brewing Company. “We are really trying to keep downtown Opelika growing. We have had a couple of new businesses open up in the downtown area, and so far we have heard and seen nothing but good things. We just need to keep up the trend.”

O Town Ice Cream has been the newest addition to the downtown Opelika area. The ice cream parlor provides the community with a full scope of Opelika history.

A brightly painted wall mural tells the stories of Opelika while the ice cream flavors themselves highlight various historical landmarks sprinkled throughout the city, like Bubba’s Medicine Shop, Opelika’s oldest family-owned pharmacy.

Angela George, owner of O Town Ice Cream, said Opelika people are very proud of their city.

“Opelika is just a very close community,” George said. “Opening up this shop has been great. The community has supported us since the doors opened, and we have stayed busy. It has been such a fun experience so far, and getting to see downtown Opelika grow the way it has is also such a blessing.”

Share and discuss “Downtown Opelika is growing” on social media.