Alabama unemployment rate holds steady at 6.2 percent

The Alabama Department of Labor released labor statistics for the month of March on Friday, April 15. The state's unemployment rate held steady at 6.2 percent for the third month in a row.

“Alabama’s unemployment rate continues to hold steady, all the while showing labor force and employment growth,” said Gov. Robert Bentley in a press release. “The growth is very encouraging, as we continue to see higher numbers of people working than we have in nearly eight years. Employers are hiring in Alabama, and we have a workforce ready for a job. Our efforts will continue to put Alabamians back to work.”

Out of 50 states and the District of Columbia, Alabama has the sixth-highest unemployment rate, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. The national unemployment rate for March measured in at 5 percent, up 0.1 percentage points from February's rate of 4.9 percent.

Civilian labor force participation — the measurement of how many people are working or actively seeking work — increased to 2,176,457 in March. Participation is up 9,123 from last month's total of 2,167,334.

The total number of individuals counted as employed has increased by 21,848 since January.

“The number of jobs our economy is currently supporting is extremely encouraging — we’re less than 8,000 jobs away from meeting economists’ predictions for job growth in 2016, and we’re only three months into the year,” said Alabama Department of Labor Commissioner Fitzgerald Washington.

Share and discuss “Alabama unemployment rate holds steady at 6.2 percent” on social media.