TECH COLUMN: Apple announces iPhone SE

Tablets and large phones are filling the digital market to the brim, leaving the small profile of smartphones past in the dust. One size does not fit all, though, and some still feel that there is a value in going back to or keeping around a smaller phone. 

When I last upgraded my phone to the iPhone 5, I turned down the option for the larger and better iPhone 6 because it was going to be too large for my hand. I had a slight hunch that I may have to take good care of it in order to avoid getting a huge phone.

In its latest Keynote product release this morning, Apple has revealed its solution to the outcry for a comfortably sized device. The latest product is the iPhone SE. Following the trend of the iPhone 4 and 4s, this is an upgrade, but it is also a replacement of the iPhone 5s. 

This is interesting and seemingly backwards innovation — extending a product line that is one behind the current one — is warmly welcomed. The phone is keeping the same 4-inch screen dimensions, but is upgrading to many features from the iPhone 6, including the powerful A9 processing chip.

Additional features, now available on both phones, include a 12 MP camera with Live Photo, an NFC chip for Apple Pay, a front-facing flash and four color options. The phone will be available beginning March 31 at a more budget-friendly price point.

The release also included a smaller iPad Pro, a software update — with blue light reducing night mode— a health app called Carekit, and a $50 price reduction in the Apple Watch. 

Share and discuss “TECH COLUMN: Apple announces iPhone SE” on social media.