City Council approves agreement for Parks and Rec plan

On Tuesday, June 7, the Auburn City Council approved an agreement with Foresite Group Inc. to develop a Parks, Recreation and Culture Master Plan for the city at a cost of $148,100.

"All of the recreation planning previously happened during [the] Auburn 2000 and Auburn 2020 [comprehensive plans]," said Parks and Recreation Director Rebecca Richardson. "So this is the first real, actual recreation master plan."

City Manager Charlie Duggan said the master plan is designated as the Parks, Recreation and Culture Master plan because the plan also includes the city's library and arts programs.

"We're including the library [in this plan]," Duggan said.

Five firms submitted proposals to develop the plan, according to city documents, but the Foresite Group was selected after a round of interviews.

The plan will include a review of five future park plans as well, including a review of the Lake Wilmore master plan, the Dinius Property off Glenn Avenue, the area around Boykin Center, the Society Hill Road property and a review of the developed portions of the Town Creek Park.

In other City Council news, the Council:

• Approved an agreement with the Alabama Department of Transportation for a grant to continue with the construction of a sidewalk between University Drive and Samford Avenue on Moores Mill Road.
  • Approved agreements with the Alabama Power Company to relocate power lines along Moores Mill Road in preparation for the ongoing construction of the Moores Mill Bridge.

Share and discuss “City Council approves agreement for Parks and Rec plan” on social media.