Military veteran moves into new home

Josh Wetzel and his family accepted the keys to their new mortgage-free, handicap-accessible home Saturday, June 18th.

Josh was injured and lost his legs on May 31, 2012, by stepping on a buried improvised explosive device while serving in the military in Afghanistan.

Auburn Mayor Bill Ham presented the keys to Josh and his family's new home that was built by the non-profit organization Homes for our Troops.

“Homes for our Troops is truly changing the lives of post 9/11 veterans,” said Paige Wetzel, Josh’s wife. “They target the severely wounded due to the knowledge of how difficult it is for these men and women to buy what they need to safely live.”

The home is full of features like roll-under sinks, handicap accessible showers and tubs, drop-down shelving and automatic doors on all the main entrances.

Josh said that the handicap-accessible shower was his favorite feature because he hadn’t been able to use a shower in over a year.

“Josh finally has a place where he is free to grow older with these amputations,” Paige said. “A big worry we had about life moving forward was that as Josh got older, he would have to spend more time in his wheelchair and we would not be in a wheelchair-accessible house.”

Prior to receiving the home, approximately 250 people volunteered to prepare the home by doing chores like laying sod and planting flowers.

Members of Auburn University’s men basketball team, volleyball team, vet school, Opelika High School's football team, Synovus Bank and six soldiers from the National Guard also participated and completed the project in 44 minutes, breaking a previous record of 45 minuets.

According to Josh, the new home and all its features will allow him to be a dad to his daughter Harper and husband to his wife Paige.

Receiving the home was the final step in independence for Josh, Paige said.

“Giving him a home where he can safely live on his own is an irreplaceable feeling because worrying over what Josh might need when he is alone is gone,” Paige said.

June 18 was proclaimed Josh Wetzel Day in Auburn by Mayor Bill Ham.

Share and discuss “Military veteran moves into new home” on social media.