The safest village on the Plains

Auburn now ranks top ten in the safest large cities in Alabama, according to recent internet study.

ValuePenguin, an accredited ranking website, now ranks Auburn in the ninth spot for safety among the largest cities in Alabama with populations above 20,000.

Among all of the 83 cities in Alabama with a population of at least 5,000, Auburn sits at 25th.

Auburn Director of Public Affairs David Dorton said he is very happy to hear the news.

“Anything that recognizes the city in a positive way really demonstrates why people want to live here," he said.

To arrive at these numbers, ValuePeguin compiled information from FBI crime statics from 2014, which included the rates of property and violent crimes. Then they adjusted the statistics to population size.

Cities ranked near the top included Helena in first, Satsuma in second and Vestavia Hills in third. The cities that had some of the highest crime rates and deemed the least safe in the state of Alabama were Selma at number 81, Birmingham at number 82 and Anniston taking the least safe spot at number 83.

Dorton attributes the safety ranking of Auburn to the hard work put in by the police, the Auburn Fire Division, other division of the Public Safety Department and the communication Auburn has with its citizens.

The city is currently working on other projects to further improve its safety rating such as improving crosswalks and lighting in downtown Auburn, conducting surveys that gauge how safe citizens feel and expanding its Travel With Care campaign that educates drivers and pedestrians on traffic safety.

To keep individuals safe, Dorton suggests common sense is always the best method of protection. Safety precautions such as locking your car, avoiding unlit areas and wearing reflective clothes when walking or biking at night can go far in staying safe.

Taking advantage of the services Auburn has to offer such as the night shuttles available on Auburn University’s campus and asking the police to drive by your house if you plan on being gone for an extended period of time can also decrease crime.

This ranking adds to the list of recognitions Auburn has also received such as a best place to retire, a best place to live and top 20 in education and job growth from CNNMoney.

Share and discuss “The safest village on the Plains” on social media.