Advice from the University Ombudsperson

The overall college experience can be challenging in general and adding on tense situations between professors, roommates or coworkers can only exacerbate stress. 

“The AU Ombuds office is in place to advance constructive strategies of conflict management in the Auburn community,” said C. Kevin Coonrod, Auburn University Ombudsperson.

Conflict can also be internal, many students will stress themselves out. 

“Procrastination causes a lot of stress,” said Coonrod, “sometimes you come up with brilliant things, other times, not.”

Beating procrastination requires that you, “get a jump on your assignments,” and eventually consistent work will, “become routine and habit and save stress.”

The more you practice study habits and work to form a routine, the harder it is for procrastination to hinder you.

If stress finds its way into your mind, find a way to distract yourself, take a break and go for a walk. 

“Going for a walk,” said Coonrod, “helps thoughts come to me. It clears my head and ideas start coming.”

Like many of Coonrod’s tips, walking can be used in many situations; walking will give you time to think about what was said and why you felt wronged.

He recommends being empathetic towards anyone you have conflict with, showing empathy shows that you care about solving the problem at hand. 

“Many reasons for conflict is caused by disrespect or a violation of dignity,” said Coonrod, “and I work to find the similarities and not focus on the issue on the table.” 

Disrespect and conflict resolution between students and professors is popular in the Ombuds office. 

Students will often feel as if professors aren’t invested in their success, but professors want to see you succeed.

“Ask your teachers for help, go to them and ask for a favor,” said Coonrod. “That shows vulnerability and gets the professor invested.” 

The Ombuds office also works hands-on with conflict resolution between any Auburn affiliates, both parties have to agree to talking to an Ombudsperson, no one can be forced to contact the office.  

They have been involved with students filing formal complaints, Academic dishonesty cases and Student Conduct issues.  

Coonrod also recommends that students make sure to look out for themselves.

“Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating the right food, and taking care of yourself,” said Coonrod. 

Coonrod and the Ombuds Office work not only to solve specific issues, they want to teach tips that can be used in many other situations. 

“In our office, I am not here to solve issues for you; I will help you solve issues yourself, I can be a guidepost,” said Coonrod.

“When people go through this process, they really empower themselves and they begin to learn, once they are taught the tools, they go off and grow.” 

Share and discuss “Advice from the University Ombudsperson” on social media.