College Democrats and Republicans weigh-in on presidential candidates

The College Democrats and Republicans are on a mission this semester to educate the University’s student body on the presidential candidates running during the upcoming election this November: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Although both political organizations are supporting their own respective candidates, they have a shared goal in that they’re hoping to persuade students to get out on election day and vote.

Calvin Wilborn,  Alabama College Democrats president,  Auburn University College Democrats president emeritus and junior in political science, said he believes Hillary Clinton, the democratic presidential candidate, is one of the most qualified candidates to ever run for president.

Wilborn said he believes Clinton’s service as the First Lady, Secretary of State and Senator in New York during the time of the 9/11 attacks serve as proof of her capabilities.

“Our goal is to make sure we have educated students here who are educated on the issues,” Wilborn said. “Hopefully, by looking and evaluating the issues they will want to vote for secretary Clinton.”

The College Democrast are working to urge students to examine political issues further, Wilborn said.

Wilborn said Clinton is pushing to make college affordable, which is an issue holding signficance on college campuses.

Cole Davis, College Republicans president and junior in political science, said Donald Trump, the republican candidate, has proven himself to be formidable candidate for our day-in-age throughout his campaign.

“His support for American sovereignty, in trade deals and in border security and dedication to the ‘common good’ of the American citizen makes him a practical candidate for the times in which we are living,” Davis said. “He has promised to rescind many of the reprehensible executive orders given by President Obama.”

Davis said he believes Trump will be able to effect change Americans have yet to see in Washington D.C. politics.

“He [Trump] has also expressed intention to return certain powers back to the states,” Davis said.

Davis said Trump may provide “a breath of fresh air” as a candidate showing true constitutionality as it relates to Federalism.

Campus is home to three political organizations, the College Democrats, College Republicans and the Young Libertarians, which provide students the opporunity to discuss and learn more about politics, particularly during this presidential election year.

Auburn for Hillary meetings are Wednesdays starting at 5:30 p.m., where students have the opportunity to make phone calls vouching for Clinton, have group discussions about canvassing and organize events urging others to vote for Clinton, Wilborn said.

“With College Democrats, we meet every other Wednesday and that’s an opportunity to be in a room full of college Democrats to talk about social issues, justice reform and things that really impact college students,” Wilborn said.

The College Republicans has partnered with the Lee County Republican Club campaign headquarters to help students get involved in campaigning for Trump as election day approaches, Davis said.

“This semester, we plan on having various speakers come to our organization as well as one major speaker,” Davis said. “On Thursday, Sept. 15, the Leadership Institute will be visiting us to host a workshop about political involvement.”

Davis said in addition to having guest speakers and hosting a workshop, the College Republicans will be holding organization days to promote their club and upcoming voter registration drives.

The College Republicans also anticipate having a public screening of the first presidential debate. Davis said.

Wilborn and Davis both said they not only strongly advise students to vote, but also urge them to be well-informed in the decision they make on election  day, Tuesday, Nov. 8.

“Research the candidates, research the parties, research the topics and chose those topics that are valuable,” Wilborn said. “I think you should really do your research and pick a candidate that really supports your ideas and values.”

Davis said we live in a time where “pseudo-intellectual talking heads seem to speak and think for us”.

“Be informed, be a patriot and get out and vote,” Davis said. 

Share and discuss “College Democrats and Republicans weigh-in on presidential candidates” on social media.