Communication class raises money for humane society

A professor assigned his students to chose a nonprofit organization they wanted to support by creating a fundraiser.

Collectively, the students chose to support the Macon County Humane Society and began to set goals to reach and suggested ideas of ways to raise money. 

The Macon County Humane Society is a non-profit organization established in Macon County, Alabama that strives to address pet overpopulation and alleviate animal cruelty in the community. 

“It is a local nonprofit that is ran completely out of someone’s home and has no actual building, and the woman in charge comes home to all these animals every day,” said Michaela Bostick, junior in broadcast journalism. “It really spoke to our heart which made us all want to help out this humane society.”

Other than the love and caring for animals, the students decided to raise money for this small organization because of their limited resources. The class decided to pursue the idea of a talent show held in Auburn to raise money that would be Auburn’s own twist of “America’s Got Talent,” called “Auburn’s Got Talent.”

Because so much planning is required to make this happen, students split up into organized groups that each focused on a job needed such as planning, advertising, logistics, finance, and administration. Each group worked together which was exactly the professor’s goal; communicating in small groups.

With loads of communication and networking, benefit nights were made and held at favorite restaurants like Niffer’s. At these events 10% of the profits raised went to the charity. 

Students held talent show auditions in the Student Center for comedians, rappers, dancers, or any person with strange talents that want to share. To spread awareness, the advertising group promoted the talent show with the help of the planning group and their knowledge of the event. Facebook pages, flyers and logos were made. 

“We had a bunch of good ideas and everyone was brainstorming but last minute someone suggested a talent show and we thought it would be fun for the students to show their talent,” Bostick said. 

Budgeting was necessary for this fundraiser to happen. Students created flyers and logos to share on social media and began networking friends, family, sorority sisters, and even requested to have Aubie attend the show. They planned to hold the talent show during "dead week" on November 30.

The talent show will be held on November 30, in Langdon Hall, where sound equipment will be provided. Tickets will be $5. For more information, check out the Facebook page, Auburn’s Got Talent. Students are free to submit auditions to auburnsgottalent@gmail.com

Share and discuss “Communication class raises money for humane society ” on social media.