Sarah's style: how to pack for the holidays

The struggle is #real when trying to pack for the holidays. Collecting clothing and predicting necessities for the entire month of Christmas break can be nearly impossible. There's so much room for activities in the 30-something days when students are released from campus like two turtle doves in a cage. How does one know what to pack?

I travel constantly, almost every weekend, whether it be driving a short distance or flying across the country. These are my tried-and-true tips for packing that work in any circumstance, but especially during the holidays.

1. Make lists on lists on list. I am the biggest list-maker in the world. I have lists about making lists. I operate solely from the notes section of my iPhone. This particular skill can make packing (and eventually dressing) much less stressful. Planning outfits in advance for any scheduled trips maximizes available space and prevents struggling to put together an outfit from a crowded suitcase.

This is also useful if visiting different climates, such as the beach versus New York City. No one needs to take home their entire closet. I’m traveling to New York during the first half of my break, and as much as I want to take my whole wardrobe, I can’t fit it all in a carry-on. My home, however, is in Georgia, so I won’t need cold-weather clothing like I will in New York. Therefore, planning specific outfits for each day I’m going to cruise the city saves time and space.

2. Take the essentials, buy the others. Toiletries can take up massive amounts of critical space in a suitcase. I always take any specialty products, but buying items such as contact solution or hairspray at the destination can make traveling much easier, especially if flying you are flying. Getting stopped by TSA at the airport for liquid products is such a drag. I’ve learned through experience that lighter bags make for a happier traveler.

By the time Christmas break rolls around, most of my supplies are running low anyways. It isn’t worth packing an extra bag full of half-empty shampoo bottles when you’re going to have to buy more in the near future. Plus, getting them at home means using dad’s credit card.

3. Try to fit it all in some kind of bag, preferably easy to carry. There’s nothing I hate more than having to take multiple trips back and forth from the car to my room once I get home, I’m lazy, I'm aware. I mean honestly, there’s no worse biceps burn than carrying a stack of hanging clothes. I swear I broke my pinky once on a stray metal hook, not worth it.

Bag type is also crucial for airport traveling. My favorite combination for flying is a trusty carry-on with a larger duffel or shoulder bag that can hook onto the handle of the suitcase and sit on top. This leaves one hand completely free and doesn’t cause back pain that comes with lugging around an uncomfortable spare bag. It also makes security easier. Putting laptops or electronics in an accessible position in the tote makes scanning a breeze; no more sweat-inducing digging as crowds leer behind you and security agents glare.

4. Packing for the unplanned: what about the last-minute holiday party invites? I’m a chronic over-packer. Even with all my little tricks, I always stress about having the right clothing for the occasion. There will inevitably be unforeseen events during the holidays, so planning a few outfits for various affairs makes the days go smoothly.

One of my biggest tips for these instances is making sure to take clothing that I feel confident and comfortable in. Again, planning ahead is a game changer. I’ll put together the entire outfit (dress, shoes, jewelry, etc.) before even leaving my apartment. Knowing the clothing I have fits well and looks great allows me to enjoy the season without worrying about my appearance. Having one or two spare outfits for any level of dressiness gives options but doesn’t overcrowd suitcases.

5. Pick accessories with intentionality. I love shoes. Shoes are life. I always struggle with packing shoes: they’re bulky, difficult to fit into a suitcase and heavy. When planning for a smaller trip, it is important to take one or two pairs that would work with any outfits in the suitcase. I always take a dressier pair and a casual, easy-to-walk-in pair, as well as some trusty sneaks. For airport traveling, I wear my bulkiest pair, which are typically my fave over-the-knee boots, to reduce taken space in my bags.

Jewelry and purses can also take up valuable space. If I take too much jewelry, it gets tangled and I can never decide what to wear. Matching jewelry and bags to selected outfits makes getting dressed so much easier. Giving a little bit of time to plan clothing in advance saves time that would be spent on figuring out outfits from an overflowing suitcase.

Putting a little bit of thought into packing can help all of us type-A’s spend our time celebrating the reason for the season instead of jumping on suitcases and tossing around clothes. 

Share and discuss “Sarah's style: how to pack for the holidays” on social media.