Fifty Shades Darker: the Butt of the Joke

Cue Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik’s sultry voices as they sing “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever.”

Images of the "Fifty Shades Darker" movie trailer will immediately start filling your thoughts—but wait, it’s not the infamous Christian Grey who first comes to mind, but Mr. Clean. Yes, the bald cartoon character who was given a full 360 makeover in the “Cleaner of Your Dreams” Super Bowl ad, has now tainted any fantasies you first had of Jamie Dornan playing Christian Grey. 

Even though the ad had most people cringing at the sexualization of a cartoon character that is the face of a cleaning product, people like Ellen Degeneres had a good laugh about it and added a bit of lightheartedness to the discomfort it may have initially elicited.

Although Mr. Clean ruined Fifty Shades fantasies for some, others didn’t hesitate to continue to flock to movie theaters for the release of the sequel to the popular Fifty Shades of Grey movie. The highly anticipated second movie, which is based the book series by E. L. James, is still just as saucy as the first movie, but with a bit more of a storyline as we follow the unconventional love story of Christian and Anastasia.

Fifty Shades Darker is here just in time for Valentine’s Day and the trendy “Galentine’s Day” outings. Surprisingly, though, it was not the number one grossing movie in the box office and was $6.4 million below The LEGO Batman Movie.

Groups of girls and even the lone-lady, were in attendance for the premier on Friday night. Unfortunately for those who were in attendance for the steamy sex scenes, this second movie disappointed and gave us more of a story and less of the sexy. All-in-all, if you’re planning to see the movie in theaters, you’ll definitely be in for a few laughs as you watch the corny acting and melodramatic situations that are portrayed.

Share and discuss “Fifty Shades Darker: the Butt of the Joke ” on social media.