Inexpensive date ideas for Valentine's Day

<p>Valentine's Day balloons float above the shelves at a local grocery store on Feb. 12, 2023.</p>

Valentine's Day balloons float above the shelves at a local grocery store on Feb. 12, 2023.

It’s that time of year again, Auburn. Love is in the air, and many are looking for a new adventure as college ends  and students head out into the real world. Valentine’s day is centered around a couple's dream date night and a single person’s worst nightmare. But not this Valentine’s Day; these perfectly crafted date night ideas are college-budget-friendly that everyone will want to participate in. 

College students tend to forget that they are still kids at heart and are all caught up in stress, schoolwork, and the outside world. This Valentine’s Day, head to Target and grab the Twister game for $15. This game is perfect for two people or more, where you test your flexibility with other people. 

This can be a great way to have fun, relax, and laugh with the people closest to you. To spice it up, buy a washable paint set for $4.69 and add color to the circles on the mat for a more colorful and competitive part of the game. Don’t worry about the mess, and have fun. This date night idea will be more memorable than regular date night dinners.

Another fan favorite for at-home date night is dips. Whether it's salty or sweet, dips are the best way to try a bit of everything, and they are relatively cheap too. Try a classic s’mores dip for something sweet for the cold weather. Buy a bag of marshmallows ($0.99), Hershey's chocolate bars ($2.19), and a box of graham crackers ($4.79). 

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an oven-safe pan with cooking spray. Place the chocolate down as the first layer, and then cover the chocolate with marshmallows. Stick the pan in the oven until the marshmallows turn golden brown, and then use the graham crackers to scoop out the perfect-sized s’more. This is a great sharing dip for a date night or with friends, feeling cozy and ready for a movie. 

As charcuterie boards have become more popular, their prices have also increased. This Valentine’s Day, grab a favorite bottle of wine, a meat and cheese tray from Target ($15.49), and a $2 candle to create a fun at-home charcuterie board with a date or friends. This idea will get people out of the house to shop with a budget while still recreating a favorite appetizer at a restaurant. 

To get out of the house on Valentine’s Day, Good Times, located on Glenn Street, is holding a weekday special this Valentine's Day. From 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., bowling costs $9.99 per person per hour, with shoes included. AMF Bowling, located in Opelika, is also holding “Triple Play,” $3.33 per game of bowling, $3.33 tacos, tall boys, Tito’s, and $3 for a $6 arcade card after 8 p.m.

Bowling is a perfect way to switch up a typical weekday plan and have an hour of fun. On the way home, pick up a Papa John’s heart-shaped pizza for $11.99 and binge-watch that T.V. show you haven’t gotten a chance to watch yet. 

Jolie Bishop | Culture Editor

Jolie Bishop, culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman is a senior in marketing with a minor in journalism. She has been with The Plainsman since summer of 2022. 

Share and discuss “Inexpensive date ideas for Valentine's Day” on social media.