LETTER FROM THE LIFESTYLE EDITOR:

The phrase "just be yourself" has sadly been buried in a borrowed coffin along with millions of similar clichés that seemingly make the world go 'round. It's lost the sting — the power it once had.

It's been a catch line in hundreds of poorly written journal entries disguised as real articles, leaving it bare and meaningless. We've come up with a million translations, but the concept is still one of the most challenging to grasp. 

You'd think staying true to oneself would be common knowledge and habit after listening to song after song bolstering those who doubt and conveying a message of being born one way and loving it. 

Considering the circumstances, it isn't hard to see why. 

Influence is a key component in combatting self-awareness. We tend to let minuscule, petty opinions infiltrate our personal perception of who we are or who we know we should be. Some people are taken over, body and soul, by trends, fads and judgmental gazes that have no right to influence.

Dressing the way in which one feels comfortable and confident shouldn't be a question, it should be an innate fact smack-dab, front and center. While we should feel welcomed to look around and learn from others, staying true to changes as they fly through our minds is just as important.

If you love designer names, pull out that wad of cash and strut down the sidewalk in the your new threads. If you appreciate a fantastic deal at a thrift store and don't mind the musty smell of new-to-me clothing, be confident in that purchase and relish that one-of-a-kind treasure.

This special spring and summer issue showcases styles that were once loved, then lost and have been brought back, 20 times more expensive, of course. 

The 70s, the retro vibes and the bold choices brought life and color to play. Who's to say it can't do the same today? 

It's sad to think about styles fleeing, as they are bound to re-appear a few decades later. I say, hold on to what you love and find comfort in whatever provides such. Confidence and self-awareness should be stitched in the pockets of your favorite faded flannel. 

Share and discuss “LETTER FROM THE LIFESTYLE EDITOR: ” on social media.