Supporters, detractors reflect on Uber's time in Auburn

In January 2015, Uber left Auburn due to safety regulation issues regarding insurance, background checks and licensing. They returned last year after pressure from students who wanted the service back.

After many negotiations and hearings, the Auburn City Council approved an ordinance allowing Uber to return in August with some safety revisions. In an attempt to ensure a safe car service for students and residents alike, the council voted on an ordinance that required Uber to display proper signage, maintain liability insurance, pay the city a permit fee and perform background checks on all of their hired drivers.

Since Uber has been back in Auburn, students have been able to request rides throughout the Auburn area with the Uber app.

According to a poll on The Auburn Plainsman website, over 50 percent of the respondents reported they have used Uber three times or more since it has come back to Auburn. Only a quarter of the voters stated they have not used Uber at all since its return to Auburn.

Ward 5 City Councilman Tommy Dawson was one of the members that voted against Uber's return to Auburn due to his concern for students' safety.

"Safety was my biggest concern, but I haven't heard of any complaints or issues so far," Dawson said. "As long as the students are happy and safe I am willing to give it a try."

It seems like safety was not only a concern for the city council member but is also a concern for taxi drivers. 

"They don't go through the same background checks we do", says Kevin McCarley, owner of Tiger Transportation, "we have to send in federal background checks, Uber does not". 

According to McCarley, the use of taxis in Auburn has not increased or decreased since Uber has been in Auburn but their sales have plateaued for the first time in the 10 years Tiger Transportation has been in Auburn.   

Many students use Uber for transportation around the city, specifically on the weekends, to get a safe ride home from a night out downtown.

"Uber makes it easier for college students to make safer decisions," said Camryn Stokes, senior in industrial and systems engineering.

Stokes uses Uber about two times a month to help her and her friends get home from downtown safely.

"I like that I can send people my Uber's location. It makes me feel very safe," Stokes said.

In comparison to taxi cabs, Stokes noted that she mainly chooses Uber over a taxi because they have a more casual feel.

"The drivers are our age so it feels like a friend is picking you up," Stokes said. "It's more comfortable and less formal."

Since Uber’s return, Stokes is not the only student choosing Uber over other transportation sources.

"I was tired of overpaying cab drivers to drive me back from downtown. Uber is much cheaper," said Mary Komick, junior in apparel merchandising.

To calculate their rates, Uber uses a standard formula which includes a charge per mile, another charge per minute, gratuity and a $1 booking fee. On average, rides from Uber are slightly cheaper than a ride from a taxi cab, which is appealing to college students who are working their way through school, students said.

Share and discuss “Supporters, detractors reflect on Uber's time in Auburn” on social media.