COLUMN: The student guide to career fair success

If the thought of your future and the increasingly desperate pressure to find post-grad gainful employment by your mom, dad and the system of Capitalism as a whole have you feeling nauseated, then know you are not alone.

You have two options: Click “Yes, I am still watching” on your open Netflix tab and pretend like watching season one of “The Office” for the ninth time will help your situation or iron your button down and get ready for the Auburn University Career Fair, where dreams come true.

I know what you are thinking, can I wear the same Nike shorts I’ve worn every day for the last week? What about my Adidas flip-flops that make every situation feel sort of like a communal shower? The answer is a resounding no.

The dress code is business professional, so when picking your clothes think “classy.” Ask yourself, what would James Bond wear if he was a middle-aged dad hosting a church donor barbecue. Wear that.

Preparation doesn’t end with picking out and ironing your nicest slacks. It is important to research the fair and the potential employers that will be there.

Peruse the website and find which companies fit where you see yourself in the future. Researching the companies grants you opportunities to ask pointed questions and differentiate yourself from the flock of fellow students.

That being said, there will be plenty of students at the fair, and it is easy to feel like just another scared, young face in the crowd.

If you want to survive and land that dream job, it is important to stand out. 

There will be an Education Interview Day from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 7 in the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum and a College of Agriculture Career Fair from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on March 9 at the Auburn University Alumni Center.

To stay up to date and in the know, you can download Auburn Career Fair Plus in the app store.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: The student guide to career fair success” on social media.