Auburn women's golf earns 12-seed for NCAA Regional

The Auburn women’s golf team was selected to the NCAA Athens Regional on Thursday afternoon as a 12-seed. The postseason berth is Auburn’s 21st in the past 22 seasons.

“We’re delighted to be going to Athens,” Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said. “Auburn has always loved the UGA Golf Course, and we have some great film there from the recent Liz Murphey tournament. I’m excited for our players and the Auburn Family.”

The Tigers will serve as the fourth SEC team to compete in Athens, along with the No. 1 seed Alabama Crimson Tide, No. 2 Georgia and No. 8 Tennessee. The Athens Regional is hosted by the University of Georgia, the site of early April’s Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic, in which Auburn placed fifth in both stroke play and match-play.

The overall NCAA regional pool is 72 teams, with each of the four areas being given 18 teams to compete. The final six teams from each region will advance to the NCAA Championships, along with the top three individuals from each site. The 2017 NCAA Championships will be held May 19-24 in Sugar Grove, Illinois.

The Auburn women will begin the postseason ranked 43rd by Golfweek and 45th by Golfstat. The regional appearance is the first for Auburn under Luellen and the team’s 23rd all time. Auburn will look to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 15th time in program history and the first time since the Tigers’ 2013 deep postseason run. The tournament will take place May 8-10 in Athens.

Share and discuss “Auburn women's golf earns 12-seed for NCAA Regional” on social media.