Foy Hall sign removed after being altered to 'Goy Hall'

On Tuesday morning, Foy Hall's sign became the subject of more white supremacist propaganda.

The Foy Hall sign facing the Thach Concourse was altered to say "Goy Hall." The F was replaced with a G of similar font, creating the illusion that the hall was named Goy, an informal derogatory term often used by Jews to identify non-Jews (gentiles). Underneath the text, there was a poster that displayed two white citizens, one male and one female. Wording on the poster stated, "We have a right to exist."

Since the time of the initial discovery, several students had taken to the poster with markers and pens, crossing out the statement and writing above it comments such as, "I am white, and this is not okay."

"We are trying to monitor the situation," said Bobby Woodard, associate provost and vice president of student Affairs, told The Plainsman Tuesday afternoon. "[The sign] has been taken down. That was our top priority."

Earlier in the day at about 10 a.m., The Plainsman reached out to Auburn University Facilities Management. An official said she, at that time, was unaware of the vandalism. By noon, the sign facing the concourse was removed.

Four new posters also appeared on the columns outside of the hall. Two of them, titled "Hate Facts," gave statistics concerning African-American and Latino crime statistics. The posters encouraged hate and gave statistics and facts that were derogatory towards nonwhite people. One poster stated "Our kindness will no longer be exploited... United together, we are unbreakable. Take your country back."

"It's not about racism, it's about reality," another poster stated. The phrase was written surrounding a Black Lives Matter banner, which had been crossed out. A similar poster, concerning illegal immigration, stated, "Without borders, we have no country."

It is not clear whether the posters and vandalism were in response to Richard Spencer's controversial speaking event last week.

"It just happened this morning," Woodard said. "We are working with campus security to get leads... At this point, we have no leads."

Share and discuss “Foy Hall sign removed after being altered to 'Goy Hall'” on social media.