Skeen makes Auburn history at War Eagle Invitational

Odean Skeen made history Saturday afternoon as he became the third Auburn runner in school history to run the 100-meter dash in under ten seconds. Skeen finished with a time of 9.98 to lead Auburn on day two of the War Eagle Invitational. 

On the day, Auburn posted 12 personal bests and seven event wins on the day.

“This was another strong meet for us as a team,” Auburn head coach Ralph Spry said. “We keep improving every week and that’s what we are looking for. Our sprinters once again put up some strong national level times. We look forward to seeing the team run at Penn Relays next weekend.”

Auburn got the running events started as the men’s and women’s squads swept the 4x100 meter relays. Jenae Ambrose, Jonielle Smith, Sashel Brown and Natalliah Whyte teamed to run a 43.95. Odean Skeen, Raheem Chambers, Kahlil Henderson and Teray Smith won the race with a 39.61. 

The Tigers kept the momentum as Rachel Givens ran an 11:07.36 to win the women’s 3000 meter steeple chase. Redatu Semeon completed the sweep of the event with a 9:03.58 to win on the men’s side.

Senior Wellington Zaza posted two personal bests on the day for the Tigers. The Pennsylvania native ran a 13.68 in the 110 meter hurdles to finish second and then ran 21.08 in the 200 meter for sixth. Zaza’s mark in the 110mH moves him into sixth all-time at Auburn.

In the women’s 400m hurdles, Sashel Brown clocked a personal best 56.20 to win the event. Her mark ranks third all-time at Auburn and currently ranks fourth in the nation. 

Freshman Nathon Allen and sophomore Randall Ceneus finished first and second in the men’s 400m. Allen ran a 46.19, while Ceneus ran a 46.45.

Akeem Bloomfield, Kahlil Henderson, Ceneus and Allen capped off the night with a win in the 4x400m relay. The Tiger relay team overcame two bad exchanges to run a 46.19.

The Tigers will be back in action next week at the Penn Relays at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, Penn.

Share and discuss “Skeen makes Auburn history at War Eagle Invitational” on social media.