Armed robbery suspect detained after morning manhunt

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones confirmed to The Plainsman that an armed robbery suspect who escaped this morning is now in custody after a manhunt that lasted about two hours.

Jamal Aikeem Hutchinson, 22, had active arrest warrants for robbery in the first degree and assault in the second degree.

According to Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones, when law enforcement agents arrived at a residence near North Donahue Drive and Shug Jordan Parkway Tuesday morning, the suspect jumped out of a second-story window without wearing any clothes. 

Hutchinson, whom the sheriff's office has been trying to locate since at least May 1, ran away from officers naked after officers tried to take him into custody this morning. 

After he ran away from police, the United States Marshal Service brought in a helicopter and began an air-ground search while local K9 units searched on the ground. The Auburn Police Division was also involved in the search.

Jones said a second suspect wanted in connection with the alleged robbery was taken into custody prior to finding Hutchinson.

With Yarbrough Elementary School so close to the area of search, an Auburn City Schools spokesman said that precautionary measures were taken and Auburn police and school officials were in close contact on the matter while the manhunt was ongoing.

They now say the school day will continue as normal.

Share and discuss “Armed robbery suspect detained after morning manhunt” on social media.