Garden in the Park returns for 12th year

Opelika’s Garden in the Park event returned for its 12th year this past Saturday at Opelika Municipal Park. Festivities kicked off early as the park hosted guests from 8.am. to 3 p.m.

Sunny and breezy, the day of the event held a variety of vendors, performers and activities for people of all ages.

Tipi Miller, director of “Keep Opelika Beautiful,” was more than happy with the turnout.

“I love seeing all of the families together,” Miller said. “All of the different vendors, the food, the animals and even the train the children love to ride, there is so much to do here, but it is such a family event.”

Groups from several Opelika City school performed songs and choreographed dances, most of which showcased during their spring recitals. The performances gathered large crowds throughout the day and left the audience with smiles and applause.

“When you have a child that is singing, it brings out every mother, uncle and grandma, and that’s kind of our thing, bringing families together,” Miller said.

Admission was free to the public, but attendees had many options to splurge on multiple food and art vendors.

Vendors sold everything from organic honey and puppets to jewelry and candles. Many of the adults could be seen browsing the booths while the children were at the arts and crafts table or feeding the animals.

“I’ve been coming here since 10th grade,” said Patrick Starr, pre-vet student and owner of Farmer Brown’s Party Animals. “My favorite part is just to see the kids’ expressions. They love to feed the camel, and it’s just great for them to come out and see all the different kinds of animals we have.”

Along with camels, the portable petting zoo had the kids excited with a kangaroo, an alpaca, fainting goats, a horse, rabbits and more.

Mikayla Jackson, a seventh-grade student at Opelika Middle School, was enjoying popcorn by the bounce house with her sister.

She and her mother came to support her sister, who volunteered to help with her school during the event.

“I’ve been having a lot of fun,” Jackson said. “So far I've planted a flower and painted a pot for Mother’s Day. My mom actually makes jewelry and flowers, so we’re going to get a booth next year and be a part of everything.”

Share and discuss “Garden in the Park returns for 12th year” on social media.