University honors Gogues for decade of service

Those who know President Jay Gogue know his thoughts on concise communication, said Thom Gossom Jr., former Auburn Football player and actor. 

"Dr. Gogue says that an effective communicator should be able to effectively communicate any program or proposal in seven minutes or less," Gossom said. 

Gossom welcomed those who attended Auburn's celebratory reception in honor of the Gogues. The program was held on May 23 in the Auburn Arena. 

While the celebration was brief at just under nine minutes, many members of the Auburn Family spoke about their decade working with the Gogues. 

In a video hallmarking Jay's successes, well-known current and past faculty remarked on his career. 

"Jay Gogue will go down in history as one of Auburn's greatest presidents," said one speaker shown in the video. An opportunity for other member's of the Auburn Family to express their gratitude can be found at the tribute website.

Photos flashed by of his interactions with students, speeches and family. Elizabeth Huntley, trustee, Governor Kay Ivey, Todd May, director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, SEC Commissioners Greg Sankey and Raymond J. Harbert were a few of those shown in the celebration video played at the reception. 

The video touched on Jay's habit of opening up speeches with, "It's a great day in the life of Auburn University." 

Susie Gogue said her husband truly believes every day at Auburn University is a good day. 

"We have had a wonderful decade and I want to thank the faculty that have worked with us and all the staff that contributed," Susie said. 

Susie proceeded to thank individuals personally in her closing statements. Jay took the stage after his wife, thanking those present. He said he's learned a lot, grown a lot and had a lot of fun. 

"I'm going to miss the students the most and I mean that in all sincerity," Jay said. "It'll really hit you in early August when you're sitting outside and it's getting a little cooler. You hear the band practicing and all the students coming back with their hopes and dreams. That's what I'll miss." 

Jay plans on teaching a few classes in the College of Education in the fall. He holds degrees in horticulture and has spent most of his career in higher education. He said he's "always taught" and when asked about retirement he replied, "I'll have to get back to you on that." 

Read more here to learn more about Gogue's 10 years as Auburn's 18th president. 

Share and discuss “University honors Gogues for decade of service” on social media.