Auburn Public Library stresses reading for all ages through new summer reading challenge

Reading isn't just for kids, said Ashley Brown, engagement and outreach librarian. 

Through the new summer reading challenge, the Auburn Public Library in encouraging parents and children alike to spend 20 minutes every day reading. The rules for the new summer reading challenge are to read or listen for 20 minutes every day and set one learning goal. 

"One of the main things that encourage children to read is having adults in their lives that read," Brown said. 

Registration began on May 25. The challenge will end on July 27. Registration can be done at the library or online. At the end of the challenge or once you complete your summer reading tracker, you can turn it in at the library. A full tracker enters you in a drawing for prizes. 

The main prize is a Nintendo Switch. For every individual hour completed, participants will be allowed to spin the prize wheel at the library. The challenge includes events called Summer Serendipity that will take place Thursdays at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. 

Summer Serendipity varies from event to event. Movie showings, guest speakers and projects from community groups will be present at these events, Brown said. 

Last year, approximately 1,300 people participated in the summer challenge. 

The summer learning celebration is Thursday, July 27 at 2 p.m. Brown said there will be games, cold treats and a sharing time for those that would like to share what they have learned from a summer of reading. 

Share and discuss “Auburn Public Library stresses reading for all ages through new summer reading challenge” on social media.