COLUMN: Baby Driver is the perfect summer soundtrack

Edgar Wright can do no wrong with his latest cinematic creation, "Baby Driver."

Baby (Ansel Elgort) is a getaway driver who involuntarily works for the mysterious crime kingpin Doc (Kevin Spacey) to pay off a debt. Baby suffers from Tinnitus which he acquired during a car accident involving his parents when he was young.

Hudson Meek, who plays the role of Young Baby, is a Birmingham native and the son of Derek and Lani Meek who are both graduates of Auburn. 

Baby constantly has his ear buds in to drown out the ringing in his ears as he drives for one of the most dangerous men in Atlanta. Once he meets the beautiful, music-loving waitress Debora (Lily James), he makes plans to ride off into the sunset with her. That is until one last heist goes wrong and Baby must save Debora and Joseph (CJ Jones), his deaf foster dad, from the corrupt people he’s been working with.

Music is what drives this film. It is an integral part of life; music can lift spirits, move you to tears and express just how much your true love means to you. Wright created the perfect soundtrack to do just that.  

Along with a killer track list, the all-star cast brings the characters to life. The robbers Baby must work with alternate throughout the film, but they all have very different personalities that leave the audience wondering how they came to be in this life of crime. 

Jamie Foxx stars as Bats, the loose canon of the group who prides himself on being "crazy." Expect plenty of quotable one-liners from this guy. Jon Hamm and Eiza González play the star-crossed lovers, Buddy and Darla, who take on the personas of Bonnie and Clyde type characters. 

Editing has always been one of Wright's strong suits, remember this is the same director who gave us "Shaun of The Dead" and "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World." The quick jump cuts are numerous only to be enhanced by the time of the music. Each song is woven intricately into every scene. 

Even though Baby himself is a criminal it is made clear he wants no part in the heists. The character reminded me of Ryan Gosling's Driver from Nicolas Winding Refn’s extraordinary 2011 film, Drive. He doesn't say much, but Elgort's subtle acting and way of emoting Baby's feelings is what saves his character from being a dud. 

"Baby Driver" is the perfect representation of the genre it is in. It's stylish, witty, fun and sure to be a great time at the movies. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Baby Driver is the perfect summer soundtrack ” on social media.