COLUMN: Starting out right with money

College students have pressures facing them every day. One of these worries is money, or a lack thereof.

For a student, books, tuition, rent, electricity, food, clothes and gas all cost big bucks.

This doesn’t include anything fun or recreational. Staring into an empty wallet doesn’t have to be your reality, however.

Here are a few ways to help you budget your money: As a college student, your parents can be a beneficial resource. You don’t need to beg them for cash, but when you’re home, your parents will likely want to help you with free food and laundry.

Pick up side jobs if you can. Gigs such as tutoring, babysitting, house sitting or selling things on eBay can be an easy way to make some money.

Selling things on eBay doesn’t have to mean the clothes or items you no longer use. It’s very easy to go by estate sales or garage sales and pick up items to re-sell. eBay and other sites like Etsy make it easy to sell for cash. Many students also choose to get a job on campus.

Campus jobs such as the REC, library, bookstore or dining often have flexible hours that make working easier on college students.

Shop deals! Clothes from a thrift store can be just as cute as those from a department store.

Learn how to buy food on a budget by using ads and coupons.

Remember to use all of your Tiger Card. This is valuable money that has already been paid for, and it’s food waiting to be eaten. However, it's important to have a budget.

Track your shopping and know how much you’re spending. This can be adjusted each month ­­— especially until you get the hang of it.

Knowing where your money is going is important. Stick to your budget, and go over it with your parents if necessary.

Finally, remember that you are a college student.

You don’t need everything to be name brand, and you don’t always have to have everything new.

Soon, you’ll be out making your own money in the world, and you can spend it as you like. Try to keep it simple for now.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Starting out right with money” on social media.