COLUMN: A study abroad guide for interested students

Traveling the world is something we all dream about. Whether it's seeing the gorgeous landscapes of rural France, or the bustling city of Tokyo, travel should be something we all should strive to do in life.

Luckily Auburn has fantastic study abroad programs that cater to students of all areas of study and background. With over 100 programs, the possibilities are endless.

"Italy, Spain, France, and the U.K. are our most popular destinations, but we've had students go to every continent, even Antarctica," said Auburn Study Abroad Coordinator Emmitt Smith. 

Now, you may ask yourself, "Why should I study abroad?" For starters, studies have shown that most students that study abroad have higher grades and exude confidence at higher levels when they return. However, the benefits aren't only academic, as students who have studied abroad are often more marketable to future employers.

Studying abroad can seem intimidating at first, however, that fear is often misguided and the Auburn Abroad office is there to help worried students quell their concerns. 

Some students might be afraid of traveling away from home, some might be afraid of cultural differences and some might be worried about a possible language barrier. Regardless, they are there to help.

"All of our programs offer classes in English regardless of where you want to go in the world, you have a lot of support and we love when students come in (to our office) and just ask questions." Smith said.

If you are someone who definitely wants to study abroad but does not know where to start, the Auburn Abroad program offers "Study Abroad 101" sessions  Thursday at 3 p.m. and Friday at 11 a.m. 

Even better, the Study Abroad International Involvement Fair will be held on September, 12 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will give students a chance to meet with study abroad partners and look at international opportunities.

Studying abroad here at Auburn is extremely versatile.

"You can go anywhere from a week to a full semester and you can take core classes, electives and both major and minor classes." Smith said.

With such great programs and opportunities here at Auburn, why not take advantage? Plus, who doesn't want to spend a semester learning in places like Rome, Italy?

Interested students should take a visit down to the Auburn Abroad Office in Foy Hall or log on to the Auburn Abroad website and use the program search tool to find the perfect location, program and experience for you. 

"Dive right in, the one thing people tell me after they graduate is that studying abroad is something they wish they had done," Smith said.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: A study abroad guide for interested students” on social media.