TRANSCRIPT: The Plainsman's interview with Nicholas Fuentes

THE PLAINSMAN: Why leave BU and why is Auburn the place you want to go?

FUENTES: As you must have seen in the other interviews one of the primary reasons that I decided to leave BU was because it just wasn't safe to be there anymore. If you've been paying attention to what's been going on at the free speech rally today, then I think that is just another illustration of why my decision to leave Boston was a good one.

You saw 15 to 20 free speech activists and about 2,500 hundred counter-protesters to attack and stop that from happening.

The reason I thought Auburn was a good choice was, to be honest, it was one of my original choices to go to school when I graduated high school. Auburn University is a more wholesome campus. It has better weather and better people. And ultimately I think it will be friendlier territory.

THE PLAINSMAN: You said in some of your interviews that you had received death threats. Have you gotten any more and what are the nature of those death threats?

FUENTES: Well, it's funny, since a lot of the press came out about the death threats I've been getting more death threats. They send them on facebook, twitter, email, telling me 'you better not walk down the street. You better not go here. Kill yourself. We're going to kill you.' Your pretty standard death threats. It got to the point where I've been getting death threats for about a year now since I first got on to Boston University's campus fall of last year. I've been getting them for about a year off and on depending on what was in the news and if I was in the news. I just got to the point where I didn't feel safe. I went to the police several times and they did nothing for us. I decided it was time for a change.

THE PLAINSMAN: I saw in one interview that you did with the Associated Press that you said, 'I'm ready to return to my base, return to my roots, to rally the troops and see what I can do down there.' What troops are you trying to rally and what do you want to see if you can do, more specifically?

FUENTES: Well, I want to rally the troops in terms of this new right-wing movement. If you look at what's happened since Charlottesville a lot of the process of removing Confederate monuments has only accelerated. I see this, and I think a lot of people in the South see this as a cultural genocide. I think if it was any other people and any other country in the world, the United Nations, the United State, the liberal press would call this cultural genocide. But because it's a certain group of people, the removal of our monuments and our history has gone unnoticed without media attention. And when we complain about it, we're made fun of, laughed and mocked. I want to rally the troops who see this as a problem, who see our immigration policy as problematic and hopefully we can rally some sort of political movement to put an end to that. Or at least bring more attention to it.

THE PLAINSMAN: Would you consider yourself a white identitarian, a white supremacist… what are you?

FUENTES: I would consider myself a paleoconservative. I think that the racial issue is pretty semantic. People look at what we're trying to do and they think that our movement is a universalist movement, like the white movement is universal. That's really not the case. We believe in tradition, we believe in traditional values, we believe in traditional principles. What we're advocating for is nothing short of what a Nigerian would advocate for for Nigeria, what a Chinese person would advocate for for China. What we're advocating for is the preservation of the traditional order of the country. Really I think the racial aspect of it is completely semantic. If you were to take out 'white' and insert any other name of any other people and apply it to their country, it would be a universal movement that we're talking about. I'm absolutely not a supremacist by any stretch of the imagination. I think a good way to describe it is traditionalist or preservationist.

THE PLAINSMAN: But you say you want to preserve this system that we traditionally had in our country. A lot of people would say that system is based somewhat on notions that could be considered white supremacy — in the way that black people, Native Americans, a ton of other groups were subjugated or treated as lesser. Do you see the disconnect there, I guess is what I'm getting at. Does that not bother you at all?

FUENTES: I understand where you're coming from on that. But we're talking about a radical transformation of the country. We've never gotten a vote on the matter. We never even got to look at this issue in an objective manner. It's completely night and day to compare what's going on now and say the only alternative is slavery and pre-1860 America. I think there is another alternative that is neither mass migration from the Third World, complete multiculturalism, complete cosmopolitanism and the Klu Klux Klan. I think the middle ground is that common sense Americana that many people are feeling right now very nostalgic for, and very melancholy that that is going away. And no one is talking about it or defending it. I understand those complaints and I understand those considerations. If there was really an honest discourse and we were given a platform to express what our views actually are as opposed to what people project onto us, then I think most Americans would come to see it as a pretty sensible position.

THE PLAINSMAN: And you went to the Charlottesville rally. I guess that's why all of this blew up. You did say the violence was bad. You said Heather Heyer's death was a 'tragedy.' But, in a Facebook post a couple of hours after that you said the rally was 'incredible.' How can you say a rally was incredible if three people died?

FUENTES: Well, I mean, in the same way that someone would say that World War II was a great victory or winning the Cold War was a victory. Of course, we're not saying the tragedies that happened were great. And believe me, one of my good friends, Baked Alaska, he got hydrochloric acid sprayed on his face in his eyes. He was targeted. He may permanently lose his eyesight forever. I have great respect and I understand the gravity of the violence and tragedies that occurred there with the death of the two police officers and Heather Heyer, of course.

But if you look at it in terms of the issues at stake, from the macro lens of the future of the country and what's at stake, really, then what we were protesting in Charlottesville, then I think it was a victory in a sense that we brought light to an issue that would have gone unnoticed, would have continued silently. A lot of people have been very upset about that. Of course, what happened there was a tragedy, but it's a little bit more nuanced than that. In a way, we demonstrated the very problems we came to protest.

THE PLAINSMAN: So were you disturbed at all that the actual rally was taken over by Neo-Nazis and white supremacists?

FUENTES: Well, yeah, but I think if you look at the press coverage of Charlottesville. You can try this yourself, and I encourage people to try this, if you google Charlottesville Nazi Flag, you will find dozens of pictures of the same guy. He's wearing a green shirt, green pants, and he's carrying a Nazi flag. Out of all the pictures that were taken, out of all the footage that was taken from Charlottesville, out of all the thousands of people that were there, you will find this one guy with his green shirt and his Nazi flag. I think you will find maybe two or three pictures of Nazi flag. And you're talking about at a rally of thousands of people with hundreds of flags, maybe one guy with one Nazi flag. And we don't know who this guy is.

THE PLAINSMAN: Maybe not carrying explicit Nazi flags, but there were dozens if not hundreds of people there that were affiliated with the Traditional Workers Party, which is a known white nationalist, white supremacist group. The night before, there were hundreds of people who were marching with torches and chanting Nazi slogans.

FUENTES: But not for nothing, not for nothing. I think really the whole Nazi label, what that signals to me, it's an idea that cannot be discussed. Calling a rally a Nazi rally and saying that there are Nazi connotations, I don't think that that's an argument. I'm not pro-Nazi. I'm very anti-Nazi. I'm not a socialist. In fact, I'm also Mexican and Catholic so I wouldn't fit into that mold anyway. But I think all of the people who are calling this Nazi this and Nazi that, that is really just saying stop talking about what you're talking about. Stop arguing about what you're arguing about. People will drum up and say that has Nazi connotations. I would say start arguing at any time.

The media allow a few people with a few Nazi flags to hijack the narrative. But everyone who went to the rally I think knew what was going on.

THE PLAINSMAN: Auburn, like most other universities, has a large international population, a fairly large African-American population. You have posted before on Twitter, after you did the video with BU, that 'multiculturalism is cancer.' Can you explain what you mean by that?

FUENTES: Multiculturalism destroys nations. Every country where it has ever been tried, it has been a failure. It has caused violence. It has caused conflict along all different lines. When I was at Boston University, I think they had an even larger international population than Auburn. We had one of the biggest in the world. I recall one conversation with a hardline liberal, I think she was even an Antifa, white liberal girl. And she told me, 'I told want to sound racist or anything but none of the international students on our floor speak English. It's very difficult for us to forge a community on our floor when half of the people don't speak English. I don't want to sound racist.' But it's just funny. Regardless of your ideological beliefs, people understand that elements of culture, such as language, such as values, thing such as gender equality. You can't forge a peaceful, stable country if you don't have a common set of values, or virtues or practices. I would just say that everyone knows this. You know it, I know, everyone knows this is the case. But people don't want to be called racist so they will defend it to their graves.

THE PLAINSMAN: In April Richard Spencer came to Auburn and brought a couple dozen Traditional Workers Party members with him. He had a legal battle with the University over speaking here. I'm interested, what is your opinion of Richard Spencer?

FUENTES: Richard Spencer, I think it's tough to say. I hear what Richard Spencer says and I agree with some of it, but at the same time, the things that he condones in the movement and some of the optics that he brings to the movement are not good for what we're trying to say. What we're trying to say is pretty common sense in terms of being traditionalist. The new right and some parts of the alt-right, what we're trying to bring to the table is a common sense, pretty palatable message. Richard Spencer comes along and he brings optics that looks like Nazis. Heil Trump and Heil Victory that he said at the NPI speech, when he did the Ticki Torch Rally in Charlottesville trying to bring up some imagery that looks like the KKK. I would say that Richard Spencer needs to figure out what kind of movement he wants. If he wants it to be something that is for mass-market appeal, something that could actually achieve something or people who just want to troll the left. I think there is a certain value in trolling the left. I understand that. But he also needs to understand that it will go nowhere fast if that's what he's trying to do.

THE PLAINSMAN: In one episode of your show on Right Side Broadcast you had said that you didn't want CNN to be more honest, you wanted 'the people that run CNN to be arrested, deported or hanged.' I think the Network later apologized for that, but do you regret saying that or do you still believe that?

FUENTES: I regret nothing. Maybe I should have phrased it in a different way. And I did rephrase it in the next episode, but the sentiment was there. The sentiment was that the people that are running our country, the people that are running the media, the people that are running the government, the people who run Wall Street, the ruling cartel, the ruling elite, they know perfectly well what they're doing to the country. They're destroying it from the inside out. They know it. The sentiment was that it's not so simple that people on CNN are biased. It's not that we want them to be unbiased. It's that people who want to ruin our country, there has to be serious consequences. That means that Hillary Clinton going to jail. That means people in the press who are supposedly supposed to be protecting the country face some consequences for their actions. While that didn't constitute a direct threat to CNN, perhaps that was rhetoric, I will say the sentiment remains.

THE PLAINSMAN: RSBN is based in Auburn. Did that play any role in you choosing to come here or wanting to come here?

FUENTES: No, no. Like I said, it was one of my first choices before RSBN even existed when I graduated from Auburn.

THE PLAINSMAN: Have you applied? When do you plan on applying?

FUENTES: I have and I've already been admitted. It's just a matter of getting over there.

THE PLAINSMAN: When did you apply?

FUENTES: I applied, I believe, in May. I applied in May.

Share and discuss “TRANSCRIPT: The Plainsman's interview with Nicholas Fuentes” on social media.