Where you can watch 'Critical Conversations' with Cornel West, Robert George online

If you can't make it to the event this afternoon, you can click here to watch "Critical Conversations" on the University's live stream. The event is set for 4 p.m. in the University's Student Center Ballroom.

Auburn is providing an opportunity for students and faculty to address a variety of viewpoints and ideologies through an up-and-coming speaker series. 

“This speaker series is an opportunity for our campus to explore how shared values of free speech and civil discourse are demonstrated throughout our institution,” said Taffye Benson Clayton, associate provost and vice president for Inclusion and Diversity. 

"Critical Conversations" will bring distinguished scholars, journalists and thought leaders to campus for students to interact with. Among these, Cornel West and Robert George, Ivy League professors, will be on The Plains Sept. 1 at 4 p.m. in the Student Center ballroom. This will be one of the kick-off conversations. 

"What's really important is that we want to create a space where our campus community are able to engage around a variety of different issues and be able to model civil discourse," Clayton said.

The public dialogue between West and George, carriers of two fairly different ideologies, are both advocated of freedom of speech. 

“We are excited to welcome Cornel West and Robert George to our campus as we launch this important series,” said Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Tim Boosinger. “As our students and faculty navigate these topics in the classroom, they will have the opportunity to engage in ‘critical conversations’ outside of class as well.”

The University said the speaker series has been put together in an effort to educate students to the point of making thought-out decisions. 

“Free speech is one of our nation’s founding principles,” said Auburn President Steven Leath. “Engaging with national thinkers and speakers to explore all perspectives around civil discourse is key to informed decision-making, critical thinking and leadership. We’re excited to bring this opportunity to our students and the campus community.”

Clayton said students should expect to come to the speaker series and encounter a variety of opinions and ideologies. 

Share and discuss “Where you can watch 'Critical Conversations' with Cornel West, Robert George online” on social media.