NYFW trends for college students

From an outsider looking in, New York Fashion Week is comprised of extravagant, expensive looks made for a small sector of pop culture’s elite. However, as movies such as the “Devil Wears Prada” suggest, the fashion presented is so much more.

Although NYFW presentations may mimic more of a show than a typical store window display, the apparel produced by designers controls what trickles down into department stores and town boutiques.

This year’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week featured the “Ready to Wear” collections for spring 2018. “Ready to Wear” is supposed to be the most applicable to the general public’s wardrobe, and this year it was made up of realistic trends and wearable pieces.

Throwing it back to the 90s in many collections, the runway was full of reinvention, inspiriation and free fashion.

With the last of the shows coming to a close, New York Fashion Week has said its last words. Here are some of the trends straight from the runway that you can expect to see in stores and maybe your own closet come spring.

Sequins

A hit or miss in the fashion world, sequins are always teetering between tasteful and tacky. This year designers have ignored the negative stigma regarding sequins, showing them as the perfect applique to spice up evening wear.

Appearing in collections like Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford ­­— both fashion masterminds — this trend is sure to be seen this coming spring.

Sheer Fabrics

Playing off the already established trend, many designers this season got on the bandwagon, making sheer sheerer. They pushed the trend further, creating incredibly thin, elegant garments to wear over or under anything and everything. This trend creates a way to layer pieces during spring without overheating.

Denim

A fashion choice with minimal flaws, denim is usually present in some form every runway season. However, this year dark wash took its turn in the spotlight.

Designers such as Calvin Klein, Zadig & Voltaire and Tom Ford have come up with their own versions of the wardrobe staple, adding a new style to it.

It’s safe to say you should stock up on your dark denim in the coming months.

Stripes

A classic reborn, stripes have long been a popular yet tricky pattern to wear. Used by designers such as Jason Wu, Phillip Lim and Derek Lam, this pattern was all the rage on the runway this year.

Presented in mostly reds that give off a vintage candy shop vibe, expect to see vertical, horizontal and skewed stripes on the racks this spring.

“Extreme Sports”

From track pants to fanny packs and jumpsuits to windbreakers, sportswear was a popular theme on the runway. Playing into the “athleisure” trend, designers have continued to work with the theme as it is both functional and fashionable.

Shown through Rihanna’s Fenty X Puma collection, Marc Jacobs and Public, fanny packs and everything 90s athletic wear are here to stay.

Adding some stylish twists to the seemingly outdated wardrobe pieces, designers are reinventing the past.

Best to sift through your parent’s closet now so you’re ahead of the trend next season.

Yellow

Proving pantone to be the color of the season, yellow was seen all over the runway.

Mixed with other bright shades and contrasting muted tones, yellow was the shining star.

Take a risk by investing in some yellow this spring and get your sunglasses ready when you hit the stores.

Share and discuss “NYFW trends for college students” on social media.