COLUMN: How to avoid the mid-semester slump

The days seem to get longer as the semester goes on. This time of the year, it’s not uncommon to see a breakdown in the library or students passed out on the couches in the student center.

Mid-semester is often a hard time for all students. While it can seem hopeless at times, there are some simple ways you can keep your energy up and stay on top of assignments.

Start early

We’ve all experienced the panic of looking at class slides or a study guide the night before a test and realizing there was much more information than expected.

Therefore, it is important to remember that exam prep shouldn’t happen all in one night. I’m not saying you can’t pull an all-nighter and pass your exam, but it isn’t healthy to do. If you’re struggling to stay on top of things, and it’s becoming overwhelming, consider starting earlier.

The week before a test, take at least an hour every day to study solely for that test. You’ll be better prepared, feel more confident and have less stress come test day. Assignments, too, shouldn’t wait until the last minute. If you finish early, your stress levels will go down.

Visualization

When you’re feeling tired, as though you can’t study anymore, visualize your goals. Visualize your career or how you’ll feel when you make a good grade on your test. While Netflix may seem irresistible now, it’ll feel even better when you make an A on your paper. Keep your priorities in check.

Get plenty of sleep

In order to feel less stressed and keep your energy up, get plenty of sleep at night. While eight hours or more may be unrealistic, two hours is unhealthy.

There are things you can do to increase your chances of getting better sleep, such as a sleep tracker. This will keep you aware of how many hours you are getting outside of your tossing and turning.

Some remedies include essential oils, a diffuser or scented lotion if you have trouble with anxiety and falling asleep. Another thing to remember is that eating too close to going to sleep can be bad for your body and mind. If you need something in your stomach to sleep, try tea without caffeine, or a glass of milk.

Use a planner

This step is important. With all of the responsibilities thrown on college students over four years — or more — of college, it is easy to lose track of obligations.

If you are feeling overwhelmed with everything on your plate try tracking it. A daily paper planner or one on your phone can keep your commitments in check.

Eat breakfast

It’s important to fill your body with needed nutrients because the way you start your morning sets the tone for the rest of your day. Try something with a little protein and nutrients, rather than pop-tarts or sugar cereal.

There are so many different creative recipes to try. Make some protein bars or eat some nutrient-filled pancakes. For easier solutions, try a hardboiled egg and cheese. Fruit is also a good way to make a nutritious breakfast.

I make toast every morning with almond butter or peanut butter, and cut up banana and chia seeds on top. On the side, I add halfof a cut up avocado.

Eat consistently throughout the day

It’s important to not only begin your day right, but to continue these healthy habits throughout the day. Studying all day or attending classes and labs can leave you feeling sluggish, especially if you’ve snacked on nothing but candy and junk food.

Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if you don’t have time, keep good snacks in your bag. I typically have two to three different protein bars in my backpack along with my favorite healthy snack for the week.

Try some pistachios or other kinds of nuts to fuel your studying. Fruits like bananas and apples are also not too difficult to carry. I like carrying popcorn too, especially if I’ve made it myself.

Find time to work out

Working out will release endorphins, serotonin and other hormones that help raiseenergy and optimism levels. Working out will also help you to feel more confident in yourself and your abilities.

Though time is tight for most college students, there are still little chunks throughout the day. If you are getting enough sleep at night, you may be able to get up earlier in the day to work out.

Following these tips should help lower your stress and raise your general happiness. While college is a difficult time, make time for yourself and your schoolwork. These four years will fly by and you’ll be glad you suffered through them.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: How to avoid the mid-semester slump ” on social media.