Alabama beats Auburn in annual Iron Bowl inspired food drive

Edging out Auburn’s 232,544 pounds of food by collecting 260,453 pounds, the “Beat Auburn Beat Hunger” drive won the charitable competition

With the Iron Bowl less than two weeks away, Auburn and Alabama students already had a competition of their own by challenging each other to the annual food drive.

Edging out Auburn’s 232,544 pounds of food by collecting 260,453 pounds, the “Beat Auburn Beat Hunger” drive won the charitable competition.

Auburn congratulated Alabama on winning this year's competition in a Facebook post.

"We would like to thank everyone who has helped us reach this number over the past 6 weeks," the group wrote. "We could not do this without the support of Auburn University and Auburn’s community." 

The efforts by both schools increased the total overall amount of food donated last year by approximately 100,000 pounds, but unlike last year, the University of Alabama came out on top.

The annual Iron Bowl inspired competition collects non-perishable food items and monetary donations for the West Alabama Food Bank and the Food Bank of East Alabama, represented by UA and Auburn, respectively.

“This year, we really just tried to look at all the people we could bring together for this cause,” said Courtney Charlan, president of Beat Auburn Beat Hunger and UA senior, in a Tuscaloosa News report. “People naturally, with this rivalry, wanted to get behind the university. This year, we were finally able to hit a lot of those ‘maybe next years.’”

Auburn and Alabama will be competing in the Iron Bowl Saturday, Nov. 28 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Share and discuss “Alabama beats Auburn in annual Iron Bowl inspired food drive” on social media.