Trump stands firm in support for Roy Moore

WASHINGTON (TNS) — President Donald Trump Sunday reiterated support for Roy Moore, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Alabama, despite numerous allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment against him

"We can't let Schumer-Pelosi win this race," Trump posted on Sunday morning. He was referencing Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who head the Democratic contingents in their respective chambers of Congress.

Numerous women have come forward to accuse Moore, an ultra-conservative Republican, of various degrees of sexual harassment, including assault, when he was in his 30s more than 30 years ago. One of the accusers was 14 years old at the time.

Trump backed Moore's opponent, Luther Strange, in the Republican primary, but Strange lost to Moore. Now, Trump says, the party cannot afford to allow Democratic candidate Doug Jones to win. A Jones victory could threaten upcoming Senate votes, Trump's aides have argued, even though whomever wins the Dec. 12 special election would probably not be seated in time to vote on a Republican tax plan.

"Liberal Jones would be BAD," Trump said. "The last thing we need in Alabama and the U.S. Senate is a Schumer/Pelosi puppet who is WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the Border, Bad for our Military and our great Vets, Bad for our 2nd Amendment, AND WANTS TO RAISES TAXES [sic] TO THE SKY. Jones would be a disaster!"

Trump's insistence on supporting Moore puts him at odds with many in his party, who believe his candidacy has become untenable.

Even Trump's daughter, Ivanka, harshly condemned Moore's alleged behavior.

Trump noted last week that Moore has denied the allegations, and that seemed to be good enough for the president.

© 2017 Los Angeles Times. Visit Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Share and discuss “Trump stands firm in support for Roy Moore” on social media.