Auburn students accepted to competitive Disney College Program

The Disney College Program is a five to seven-month program letting college students live in the Disney magic while gaining valuable career experience.

Applicants undergo a rigorous and competitive three-part interview process and selected participants go and live in company-sponsored housing while working a variety of jobs within the parks.

The paid internship program gives participating students the opportunity to live in a community of students from all across the country as they learn valuable skills like teamwork, problem-solving, and customer service.

Molly Barnett, senior in collaborative teacher in special education, will be spending her last semester of her college career as an intern.

This is Barnett’s second time participating in the Disney College Program. She spent her first year working in food and beverage and as a lifeguard.

“I really enjoyed that program I got to sell concessions at Braves games because of Disney’s affiliation with ESPN and then I was a lifeguard for the rest of the summer at blizzard beach,” Barnett said.

Barnett said she was excited to participate in the program for a second year as she expressed her love for Disney.

“It is such a magical place and when you work there you get to be apart of that magic for so many people," Barnett said. "This year I am working in merchandise so I will be in the park all summer, I’m really excited.”

Barnett said she felt honored and excited to have been invited back in the first round following her interview.

Another Auburn student recently accepted to the program is Caroline Colletta, junior in marketing.

Colletta said she was thrilled to have been accepted and shared that this was her third time applying to the program.

“I am so excited to work there because I just love Disney,” Colletta said. “I am working on the custodial team and I am excited because the cleanliness of the parks at Disney is something I’ve always been very impressed by and now I will get to be apart of making that happen.”

Colletta said she is excited about all the experience she will gain as a cast member.

“The people who work there are always so high energy and awesome and I want to be apart of that," Colletta said. "I think it will also help me make connections and maybe even get some career clarity.”

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, was also offered a role in the program for this spring. She will be in one of the most coveted cast positions working as a photopass photographer.

“My training is a little different than other people’s," Burns said. "I’ll be assigned to a certain icon like Cinderella's castle and trained on that first. Then I will be trained on night shoots and then character dining.”

Burns said she is excited to learn more about photography and thinks it could help her in her future with a journalism degree. She said she hopes to gain experience working for a large company.

“It is the chance to work with a fortune 500 company,” Burns said. “With Disney, you really work your way up and gain experience so if I were to want to work for Disney or any of its sister companies this will help me have my foot in the door.”

Share and discuss “Auburn students accepted to competitive Disney College Program” on social media.