Explosion shakes one of New York's busiest commuter hubs

The New York City Fire Department said a total of four individuals have minor injuries after the explosion, including the perpetrator

At least four people have been injured after an explosion rocked the New York Port Authority building in Manhattan Monday morning.

The New York City Fire Department said a total of four individuals have injuries after the explosion, including the perpetrator, who has been identified by police as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, an immigrant from Bangladesh.

The three victims have minor, non-life-threatening injuries.

Ullah, according to the New York City Police Department, wore an improvised explosive device to the Port Authority building. He lived in Brooklyn and remains in serious condition at Bellevue Hospital Center, where he is in police custody.

The explosion, which occurred in a below-ground walkway, shook one of New Yorker's busiest commuter hubs. Several subway stations in the vicinity were evacuated and the Port Authority Bus Terminal was also closed. The location of the attack, which is being investigated as a terror incident, is near Times Square.

"The reality is that we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom," said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "We have the Statue of Liberty in our harbor and that makes us an international target."

Share and discuss “Explosion shakes one of New York's busiest commuter hubs” on social media.