Thoughts expressed at Lee County polling sites

The Alabama Senate race has warranted much attention over the upcoming weeks. On a chilly Tuesday, voters exited the polls at the Boykin Center on Boykin Street and the Clarion Inn and Suites.

Allegations of sexual assault against Republican Roy Moore have taken precedence in conversations during the weeks prior to the election. Moore denied the allegations on multiple occasions. In response, stars and public figures have rallied for both candidates. Democrat Doug Jones has recruited big names like Charles Barkley, Jason Isbell, Corey Booker and others. 

Some voters spoke up about the allegations, policies of both candidates and the national coverage of the election. 

Here's what they had to say about the election: 

"A lot of younger people in Alabama are leaving and won't stay because of elections like this," said Dylan Wilson, junior at Auburn University. "When you are scared that an alleged child molester is going to win an election in the Senate over someone who has been a great judge."

"[Roy Moore] is the best man for the job; I don't want a baby killer for it. I don't believe in abortion," said Marshall Howell, an adamant Moore supporter. "I don't believe none of [the allegations]. I don't believe none of that crap. What did you do 40 years ago? That has no bearing on a man. A man's life can be changed. A man's life can be changed by the strong will of God, so forget about all that crap. ... Doug Jones – all he is doing, all he is is a pawn, just a puppet on a string."

"I think it is going to be neck-and-neck," said a voter who requested to remain anonymous. "I would like to see Moore pull it out. I think the timing is everything, I mean he has been in public office for 30 years and all of a sudden, two or three weeks before the election, everybody started making allegations. I am not saying they aren't true but, you know, the timing."

"I think the current election is crazy," said Ed Wheldon. "I would love to have a Republican do it, but who knows. I wrote in Lee Busby." Wheldon said he was not pleased with either of the main party candidates. 

"I want the Republican party to win," said Terry Price. "He goes to Washington, I don't care if they get an ethics committee – search him out, if they need to get rid of him, fine. The governor will appoint another Republican. I am very conservative, and [Doug Jones] is much more liberal." Price said the good outweighs the bad in his support of Moore. 

"I am totally split," said Julia Zhu. "Before I voted my son called me and said, 'Mom, you can not vote for that Republican. He is very bad.' I voted for the Democrat. At the beginning, I thought I would vote for Moore. I think I am not 100 percent for either party." 

"[Doug Jones] seems like he wants to help us," said a voter at the Boykin Center. "A lot of other people don't want [Roy Moore] to win."

Share and discuss “Thoughts expressed at Lee County polling sites ” on social media.