Aubie places 2nd at USC Mascot National Championship

Last week, Aubie competed in the USC Mascot Championship in Orlando Florida at Disney World. The full Aubie staff and members of SGA traveled with their favorite tiger to Disney to compete.

Aubie staff member Rosemary Shelton is in her second year as part of the Aubie family and traveled to Orlando for the competition. She said that Aubie was a clear fan favorite and had a great skit.

“This skit this year was camping themed. It was really funny and everyone enjoyed it. Aubie posted it on his facebook page so you can see it there, it had some great jokes.” Said Shelton.

To qualify for the competition, mascots must compete at USC cheer camp over the summer. In August, Aubie competed and won first place. But the qualification process doesn’t end there.

“Winners from that competition are then invited to submit a video to qualify for the championship. The video showed Aubie doing athletic events, campus activities, and community service. Aubie came in first place in the video competition as well which qualified him to attend the championship.” Said Shelton.

Aubie won second place at the competition, and while Aubie and his team were disappointed not to bring home first place, Aubie is the only mascot who can boast that he has placed 1st or 2nd place every year for the past 11 years.

Aubie is said to be among the most animated and well developed mascots in college football. He is certainly among the most decorated, holding 9 USC Mascot national championship titles, 2014 Capital One Mascot of the Year, and in 2006 he was the first inductee into the mascot hall of fame.

2018 is a special year for Auburn’s favorite tiger as it marks 40 years since he first came to life at an Auburn basketball game in 1979. As the homepage of his website reads “It is often said women love him, children adore him, and men want to be him.” Aubie is a beloved member of the Auburn family and his appearances are highly coveted. He and his team work hard to organize all of his many appearances through the year.

Shelton said “My favorite part of being on the Aubie staff is the joy he brings everyone. Every student loves Aubie. And at the competition you could see how even non students looked forward to seeing him and knew he was special. He is such a part of the Auburn spirit and tradition and it is great to be apart of that.”

Share and discuss “Aubie places 2nd at USC Mascot National Championship” on social media.