The history behind Langdon Hall

Langdon Hall is the oldest building on the Auburn campus, with its construction date being 1846. It is located next to Samford Hall. The building was not originally at the University’s campus, but rather where the Auburn high school know stands. It wasn’t until 1883 when the building was moved to campus.

The original purpose of the building was a Chapel for Auburn’s Female College.  It was later transformed into a hospital for Civil War soldiers.

The building was eventually moved to campus after being disassembled from its original location and reassembled on campus. The reassembly project was formulated by a former student who had graduated just 2 years prior to the reconstruction. Since the reassembly, the building has gone through some changes in appearance.

The building was named after Charles Carter Langdon. Langdon was a trustee of the University.

As a fire burned down “Old Main,” Langdon Hall did not receive damage. For this reason, the building held temporary classrooms for students who had lost their classrooms in the fire.

The building had many purposes throughout the 20th century. One of the more popular uses during the late 20th century was a movie theater. It would host free movies.

Langdon Hall is now used for classes and is home to the Office of the Registrar.

The building has been maintained over the years to keep it in proper condition and to keep its historical value. 

Share and discuss “The history behind Langdon Hall” on social media.