President Leath to be installed as Auburn's 19th President in two-day celebration

Steven Leath, Auburn’s 19th president will be installed on Thursday, March 29 as part of a two-day celebration.

The ceremony on Thursday is a formal recognition of Leath as president of the University, though he officially took office on June 19, 2017.

The 18th president of Auburn University, Jay Gogue, was inducted in 2007 and left office in 2017. Many students do not have the opportunity to witness the installation of a president like current Auburn students do.

The activities will begin the day before on Wednesday, March 28, as students can engage with one another on the Green Space beginning at 10 a.m. There will be free food and entertainment as well as T-shirts for the event.

Auburn University receives Leath after his service at Iowa State University as its president for more than five years.

During Leath’s presidency, ISU had its highest graduation rates and lowest debt for students. Leath led the expansion of research at ISU, promoting the University.

Leath also served as vice president of the University of North Carolina System for research and sponsored programs.

Leath’s experience in research work is indicative of his background in plant science, having begun his education at the University of Illinois Urbana. He earned his bachelor of sciences at Pennsylvania State University and his masters of science in plant science at the University of Delaware science. This led to his Ph.D. in plant pathology from the University of Illinois.

Outgoing SGA President Jacqueline Keck will speak at the ceremony along with Daniel Svyantek, chair of the University Senate, and Beau Byrd, president of the Auburn Alumni Association. Other guests include Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey and Michael DeMaioribus, president pro tempore for the Board of Trustees.

Ceremonies on Thursday will begin at 10 a.m. in the Auburn Arena.

Share and discuss “ President Leath to be installed as Auburn's 19th President in two-day celebration” on social media.