Board of Trustees approves facility upgrades for Auburn softball, baseball

The softball complex plans include an “indoor infield,” along with retractable nets to create batting tunnels when the infield is not in use. Amenities for the Plainsman Park upgrade include indoor batting tunnels and “player evaluation spaces"

Diamond sports on The Plains is set to receive some elaborate upgrades soon.

The Auburn Board of Trustees Property and Facilities Committee approved final project plans Friday morning for both Jane B. Moore Field and Plainsman Park. The projects were approved later in the morning by the University’s Board of Trustees.

The facilities for softball and baseball were both approved as 10,000-square foot, indoor buildings beyond the outfield along the first base lines of the ballparks. Both projects hold a $4 million budget and a completion date aimed for fall 2019.

The budget is to be funded by a combination of gifts and athletic department funds.

The softball complex plans include an “indoor infield,” along with retractable nets to create batting tunnels when the infield is not in use. Amenities for the Plainsman Park upgrade include indoor batting tunnels and “player evaluation spaces.”

Both plans contain restrooms for athletes and coaches.

“The indoor facility is going to have a huge impact," Auburn softball head coach Mickey Dean said in a statement. "It gives us the ability to work on things when it's cold, when it's raining. It's also a place student-athletes can go if they want to work on their own.”

Auburn softball played its first full season and dedicated the ballpark to the Jane B. Moore name in 2003. Since then, the Tigers have captured a pair of SEC titles and have been selected to 12 NCAA Regionals, three Super Regionals and two College World Series.

The complex has a current capacity of 2,316.

Plainsman Park has been the home field of Tiger baseball for the past 67 years and has a current capacity of 4,096. In 1998, renovations transformed the ballpark into an MLB-like venue, adding the brick backstop of Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs), the dark green chairback seats of Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles) and the Green Monster of Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox).

Prior to the 2003 season, Plainsman Park was named the nation’s best college venue by Baseball America. Last year, a 24'0" x 62'4" video board was added, one of the largest in the nation.

"We've been blessed in the first two years with the field renovation, the lights, scoreboard and seats," baseball head coach Butch Thompson said in a statement. "This is our next big step, and it's a step in the direction of player development. It will improve our workspace, especially in inclement weather, allowing us to hit inside. It's a player development investment that will benefit every player in our program."

In 2013 and 2014, former Auburn All-American Tim Hudson donated $1 million to the University to upgrade the complex’s clubhouse, locker room, equipment room and athletic training room. The donation also added new coach's offices, meeting rooms and an alumni room.

Auburn renamed the stadium Samford Stadium-Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park in May 2003 after longtime Auburn Board of Trustee Member W. James "Jimmy" Samford, Jr. The Tigers boast six conference titles, 20 NCAA Tournament appearances and four College World Series seasons in their 85-year history.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves facility upgrades for Auburn softball, baseball” on social media.