Auburn Alumni Association and Office of Inclusion and Diversity invite alumni to Black Alumni weekend

The weekend is a three-day celebration featuring vibrant, family-friendly social events, networking opportunities and insightful panel discussions.

<p>Black Alumni Weekend is set for Sept. 7-9 at Auburn University.</p>

Black Alumni Weekend is set for Sept. 7-9 at Auburn University.

The Auburn Alumni Association and the Office of Inclusion and Diversity are excited to welcome graduates back to campus for Black Alumni Weekend Friday, Sept. 7, through Sunday, Sept. 9.

To commemorate the year Harold Franklin became the first black student to enroll at Auburn, 1964, black alumni set a goal to secure gifts from 1,964 individual black alumni.

This goal had a total value of at least $3.5 million before the end of Because This is Auburn.

In the summer of 2017, black alumni exceeded both goals, with more than 2,026 black alumni donors making philanthropic investments totaling more than $4.2 million.

Since the first Black Alumni Weekend in 2015, black alumni have donated a total of $6,915 to the Auburn Alumni Association Plus Scholarship.

This coming year is the 55th anniversary of Auburn’s desegregation on Jan. 4. Attendees at Black Alumni Weekend will be given an opportunity to share their stories and listen to the experiences of others.

Alumni are encouraged to share their Auburn stories on the Auburn Alumni Association website and contribute to the oral history of the African-American experience on the Plains.

The purpose of Black Alumni Weekend is to celebrate the heritage, culture and legacy of black alumni and forge the future for black students at Auburn University. All alumni are encouraged to attend Black Alumni Weekend.

General registration for the event is $155 per person. The whole family is invited to attend the tailgate on Saturday prior to the Auburn vs. Alabama State football game.

Children age 17 and under are $5.45 for the tailgate. Children 1 and under are free. Children’s packages are $40 and include a t-shirt, game ticket and the tailgate. All prices include applicable sales tax.

The adult ticket includes a $5 gift that will be donated to the Auburn Alumni Association PLUS Scholarship. Registration does not include hotel accommodations.

A football game ticket is included for each registered adult. The first 200 tickets are guaranteed lower level seating. The deadline to register is Aug. 24.

Share and discuss “Auburn Alumni Association and Office of Inclusion and Diversity invite alumni to Black Alumni weekend” on social media.