Opelika public safety departments showcase new historic exhibits

“With me only having worked [for the Opelika Fire Department] for about four years, it’s pretty cool to see where this department started and seeing where it is now,” said firefighter Greg Montgomery.

<p>Exhibit with historic artifacts unveiled by Opelika safety departments on June&nbsp;28, 2018.</p>

Exhibit with historic artifacts unveiled by Opelika safety departments on June 28, 2018.

With clouds darkening overhead, former Opelika Fire Chief Albert Smith cut the ribbon on the Museum of East Alabama’s newest exhibit seconds before a downpour of rain forced attendees inside.

On June 28 at 4 p.m., members of Opelika’s fire and police departments, as well as other Opelika residents, came together to witness the grand opening of the new police and fire department exhibit.

The most prominent item at the new exhibit is a 1948 Ford fire engine. The truck went into service with the Opelika Fire Department in 1949 and only has 14,000 miles on it. The museum’s director Glenn Buxton said that the truck has been in storage for over 20 years.

“This truck had 500 gallons of water on it, it was the largest tank as far as we know in Alabama at that time in 1949,” Smith said. “I drove this truck.”

Smith was Opelika’s fire chief from 1978-1990 and served as a firefighter in Opelika for over 45 years.

“This truck is a piece of history for the city,” said Fire Chief Byron Prather. “This truck was at one time a frontline of defense against fire for the city, and now we’re keeping this truck in remembrance of where we were to where we are now. It’s very satisfying to be able to put that truck in here.”

The firetruck was originally no. 3 and this can be seen in many of the old pictures of the engine, but Prather said after being refurbished with additional lights, it was retitled engine no. 13

The exhibit also has a loft that duplicates the living quarters of firefighters in the 1960s. The loft was built by inmates from the Lee County Detention Center, and they also repainted the room. The firepole that is now connected to the loft at the exhibit is the original one that was inside of the former Opelika Fire Department headquarters previously located on Avenue A and built in 1906.

Past uniforms of police officers and firefighters are on display including Smith's former uniform. The uniforms include those of Police Captain Fred R. Davis and former Lee County Sheriff Paul Ragsdale, who served from 1962 to 1969. 

Other memorabilia from the police and fire departments are also on display.

“With me only having worked for about four years, it’s pretty cool to see where this department started and seeing where it is now,” said firefighter Greg Montgomery.

The museum was formerly an auto-repair shop, and the new exhibit is inside of the garage area which used to be storage for the museum, Hardin said.

The museum has had the truck, firepole and other artifacts for several years. It has just been working on preparing a place for the items, Hardin said. 

“This exhibit has been about eight years in coming,” Buxton said.

Food from NIffer’s and Chicken Salad Chick as well as wine were provided for attendees to enjoy. 

Share and discuss “Opelika public safety departments showcase new historic exhibits” on social media.