Deadly crash that claimed the life of 20-year-old Auburn student remains under investigation

The driver of the tractor-trailer has been questioned by police

<p>Cassidy Meadows, 20, was a student at Auburn. She was killed in a crash on Interstate 85 on Wednesday.</p>

Cassidy Meadows, 20, was a student at Auburn. She was killed in a crash on Interstate 85 on Wednesday.

A deadly multicar crash on Interstate 85 in Auburn Wednesday that claimed the life of a 20-year-old Auburn student, Cassidy Meadows, remains under investigation by the Auburn Police Division.

The driver of the tractor-trailer that caused the accident, according to the Lee County coroner, has not been named.

"The accident continues to be investigated by Auburn Police to determine the cause, and identify the contributing factors," said police spokesman Capt. Lorenza Dorsey. "The driver of the 18 wheeler was taken from the scene by police and questioned."

Meadows, 20, was killed instantly when the tractor-trailer, which was hauling a load of jet fuel, struck her vehicle from behind, Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said Wednesday.

The Plainsman confirmed on Wednesday that Meadows was a student.

“Meadows was apparently stopped in traffic due to an accident on I-85 near the 53-mile marker when the tractor-trailer failed to stop for the backed-up traffic and struck Meadows vehicle and two other vehicles from behind, driving Meadows vehicle into the bridge support of the 51 exit,” Harris said.

Exit 51 connects to South College Street along I-85.

The pile-up that resulted from the collision pinned Meadows in the wreckage, the coroner said.

“It took Auburn Fire nearly three hours to extricate Meadows from her vehicle due to the severity of the damage,” Harris said.

Harris pronounced Meadows dead at the scene at 12:54 p.m. because of the extent of the multiple blunt force impact injuries she sustained.

At least four other occupants from the other two vehicles involved were transported to East Alabama Medical Center to receive further treatment for their injuries.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was not injured. The fuel load the tractor-trailer was carrying did not leak.

The Plainsman will continue following this story.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Deadly crash that claimed the life of 20-year-old Auburn student remains under investigation” on social media.