How to enjoy each Auburn sporting event's student section

Welcome to The Jungle.

Sporting events at Auburn University are as wild as advertised as students are tossed into the forefront of a rabid, hungry fanbase. As an SEC school, Auburn is obviously a football-driven athletic program, but each Tigers sporting event holds its own traditions and craziness on game days.

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to enjoy yourself at Auburn's arenas, fields and stadiums when the big games roll around.

FOOTBALL

After Jordan-Hare finished the 2017 season undefeated, fans should be excited for what the stadium has in store for an encore. Gus Malzahn's 2018 home slate is manageable in comparison to most SEC gauntlets, as the Tigers' home conference opponents next year were a combined 24-26 last season with no bowl wins. Auburn's trio of non-conference opponents — Alabama State, Southern Miss and Liberty — figure to be relatively easy, double-digit victories for what should be a highly ranked Auburn squad.

The possibility of back-to-back undefeated seasons on Pat-Dye Field aside, students should always be amped for Auburn football seasons; it's what makes this school and its community go round in the fall.

The football student section is perched in the southeastern corner of the stadium, next to the Auburn University Marching Band and under the largest video board in college football. This positioning alone is enough to liven a student's game-day experience with trumpeting tunes from the band and bass-booming effects from the Jumbotron.

The crowd and team will feed off the band and video board, but it's the students' job to make the energy churns each quarter. There will be low points; Auburn will trail. But just as the faithful rely on their team to produce on the gridiron, the Tigers rely on their fans to rattle opposing offenses and keep momentum in favor of the orange and blue. 

When the clock hits zero, you'll be disappointed if you didn't give the game your all. There's nothing to lose, and the friends you're there with will be just as crazy. So be loud and consistent, and maybe you'll play a part in making Toomer's Corner roll-able that night.

BASKETBALL

For both men's and women's hoops, there is one simple rule: be loud.

When Auburn is on defense, The Jungle, Auburn's basketball student section, erupts with one of the loudest roars in the conference. With the Tigers experiencing their best season in recent history last year, students were quick to claim that basketball games were sometimes even more fun than football.

If you want the best seats in the house, you'll have to get there early. Gates open an hour and a half before tip-off, but you'll need to secure your spot in line before that at conference games. 

Outside, be patient. Bring card games or bring friends. But definitely don't cut, lest you be tabbed "that person" for the remainder of the season.

Inside, just go crazy. The PA system blares loud and exciting tunes over the course of the game, and The Jungle usually finds itself jumping up and down without a care in the world. 

BASEBALL

America's pastime is an enjoyable one on The Plains, as games at Plainsman Park feature some of the best amenities of any sport on campus. 

Students have a specific student section reserved along the third-base line, however, once the game gets rolling, you can find a seat in most places in the stands. The games are long, yes, but the comfortable seats and entertaining nature of one of the best teams in the conference makes for a relaxing but thrilling outing.

And if you can't make it in the park or you want to grill out on your truck bed with some friends while you catch the game, venture up to the top floor of the stadium deck and hang with the "Plainsman Parking Lot"

SOFTBALL

If you're seeking the stereotypical relaxing style of baseball, veer away from Auburn softball.

Tiger softball fans are some of the most loyal on The Plains. Outings at Jane B. Moore Field are short, action-packed and will almost always pack a surprise.

Like baseball, students have seats reserved on the third-base line, but unlike at Plainsman Park, it's strongly discouraged to go looking for better seating mid-game. 

Auburn has been one of the best teams in the nation on the women's diamond for almost a decade, and the Tigers will more than likely host a few regionals over the course of your college career, giving one of the best chances to see a major Auburn sport play in the postseason live.

GYMNASTICS

Gymnastics is different.

There's never much of a hostile feel to an Auburn gymnastics meet, despite the SEC being the nation's leader in the sport. Win or lose, Auburn gymnasts are always all smiles, happy with their own performances.

It's common to clap for other team's routines and showings, even though Auburn's "gymnasties" will do their best to comically imitate them. Gymnastics meets pack out the student section, so be wary of arriving late.

If you're looking for an interesting, inspiring and entertaining getaway for your Friday nights, save the dates inside Auburn Arena.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “How to enjoy each Auburn sporting event's student section” on social media.