Involvement insight: How to start an organization

Organizations on college campuses provide a tangible avenue for students with similar interests to connect. The Organizations Board, or O-Board, is the group responsible for deeming whether a potential new organization is ready to have a place at Auburn.

Kylie Sargent, president of O-Board, said the process for beginning an organization on Auburn’s campus is fairly simple.

“It’s just a matter of meeting the requirements,” Sargent said.

Cameron Eaves, student organizations adviser, said the requirements include a faculty advisor, a minimum of 10 members, leadership officials and a governing document outlining the organization’s mission and bylaws.

Sargent added that the governing document is required to contain a nondiscrimination clause.

“Even if you are a politically or religiously based club, you need to be able to accept all kinds of people,” Sargent said.

After the necessary documentation is submitted, potential new organization members are asked to present their organization in a hearing before the O-Board who then determines whether to approve or deny the organization.

“The hearing gives us a better understanding of what the organization’s about and gives us a feel for what their goal is,” Sargent said.

If the new organization is approved, it is given provisional status. After six months and a mandatory number of meetings, the organization is granted permanent status and is invited to apply for funding through O-Board.

“Starting an organization is really not too hard,” Sargent said. “It’s just a matter of whether or not you’re informed of how to do it.”

Eaves said there will be over 500 student organizations in the fall. Her recommendation to first-year students is to not overload themselves during their first semesters and to instead focus on organizations that complement their passions.

“We want involvement to be an asset to academics,” Eaves said. “We don’t want it to bombard them.”

Share and discuss “Involvement insight: How to start an organization” on social media.