Brenna McIlroy's career night drives volleyball win over Butler

Leading the charge, freshman Taylor Rowland and senior Brenna McIlroy tallied double-digit kills, with Rowland putting down a career-best 12 kills and a .524 hitting percentage

<p>Jesse Earl (3) prepares to bump the ball over the net during Auburn Volleyball vs. Alabama on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jesse Earl (3) prepares to bump the ball over the net during Auburn Volleyball vs. Alabama on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

Behind a record-setting performance and an all-around team effort, the Auburn Tigers (2-1) defeated the Butler Bulldogs in three-straight sets (25-23, 25-19, 25-18) to kick off the Top Dawg Challenge in Hinkle Fieldhouse.   

"The team did a great job attacking efficiently, especially on the outside," head coach Rick Nold said about his team’s dominating effort. "We just kept taking was given of us and stayed aggressive all night. I'm really proud of the way the team took advantage of every opportunity given tonight." 

Leading the charge, freshman Taylor Rowland and senior Brenna McIlroy tallied double-digit kills, with Rowland putting down a career-best 12 kills and a .524 hitting percentage. Rowland also only had one error on the night.  

Junior Gwyn Jones also got in on the mix with six kills and .545 hitting. Freshman setter Mica Allison totaled 30 assists on the night.  

On the defensive side, the Tigers stifled the Butler attack to a .080 attack percentage with Auburn totaling a season-best seven blocks on the night with sophomore Anna Stevenson having a hand in six of the seven. McIlroy finished with three. 

Early in the second set, senior Brenna McIlroy hauled in her 1,000th kill as an Auburn Tiger. This marks only the 15th time in program history that someone has reached that milestone.  

"We rely on Brenna on many parts of game," coach Nold said. "She is now a member of an elite club and when looking at her full game and everything that she does for us on the court, it's impressive. I'm really proud of her." 

The teams were neck-and-neck to begin the first set, before kills from Jones and one by McIlroy pushed the Tigers ahead at 16-13, forcing a Butler timeout. A kill from Stevenson put the Tigers up 20-17, but the Bulldogs came back tying the set at 23. After a pair of costly Butler errors, Auburn took the set 25-23.  

Butler continued its back-and-forth push into the second set with an early lead. However, McIlroy's 1,000th kill rallied the Tigers with an ensuing 5-0 run. A kill from Rowland and an ace by Beasley forced a Butler timeout with the match at 19-15, while another from Rowland sealed the set 25-19. 

Auburn capitalized on its momentum and took a 9-6 lead in the third before the Bulldogs utilized errors for a 13-11 advantage. The Tigers battled back with a 5-1 run for a 17-15 lead and pushed a four-point rally to go up 21-16. Back-to-back kills by Rowland capped the night for a 25-18 win. 

The Tigers look to continue their winning ways as they return to Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday Sept. 1 to play the final two matches of the classic. Auburn takes on Illinois State at 9 a.m. CT and follows with a 3 p.m. CT match against Eastern Illinois. 

Share and discuss “Brenna McIlroy's career night drives volleyball win over Butler” on social media.