Late night eats to discover in Auburn

<p>Burger and french fries from Sheila C's Burger Barn on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Burger and french fries from Sheila C's Burger Barn on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017 in Auburn, Ala. 

Whether it’s intentional or unintentional, it’s inevitable that, as a college student, there’ll come a time when you’re up at 2 a.m. needing food. After a night at Quixotes or a chemistry cramming session, take the time to sample some of Auburn’s best late-night spots.

For those who find themselves up studying after midnight, eating on campus used to be impossible. However, the new Panera Bread in the library is open 24 hours Monday through Thursday, giving students an extra option to stay energized while studying.

When it comes to 24-hour restaurants off campus, there are three primary options: Waffle House, Sonic and McDonald’s. The Sonic and McDonald’s both have drive-thrus for those looking for a quick bite.

Those looking for drive-thru options should also keep in mind Cookout and Taco Bell, which both close at 3 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

For earlier night that end by 2 or 3 a.m., spots like Little Italy and Jimmy John’s are easily accessible in downtown Auburn. 

Another restaurant that offers late hours on Fridays and Saturdays is Pieology, which stay open until 3 a.m. These later shifts are a change from Pieology’s former hours that were made last year, and employee Michael O’Key said the change has paid off. 

“It definitely has skyrocketed business,” O’Key said. “All of those late nights, they are very successful, probably the most profitable of all the shifts we have here.”

Pieology offers customizable pizzas, allowing students to construct a pizza fitting whatever their personal craving might be.

“The idea was to be open an hour later than all of the bars,” O’Key said.

Pita Pit also has late-night hours as it is open until 2 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday, 3 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and 1 a.m. on Sundays. Unlike many restaurants that stay open late, Pita Pit places a focus on healthy options with their customizable pitas. 

“It’s a fast-casual restaurant, so our goal is that we want to get the people in and out, but we have a big focus on fresh ingredients,” said regional manager Josh Gossett. “So we like that we’re open late so people have that option of somewhere fresh late at night versus somewhere more fast food-y.”

From downtown Auburn to Opelika Road, there are many options for Auburn students who find themselves up and hungry after midnight. 

Whether it’s all about getting a burger as quickly as possible or keeping up with your healthy diet even after hours, you’ll find late night food to satisfy any craving.

Share and discuss “Late night eats to discover in Auburn” on social media.