Live blog: Auburn takes on Washington in first top-10 matchup of CFB season

Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before  Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.
Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.
  • No. 6 Washington vs. No. 9 Auburn (Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Ga.)
  • 2:30 p.m. CST on ABC

Auburn football has returned in colossal fashion.

Atlanta is the venue as the Tigers and Huskies are set to do battle in the first top-10 matchup of the college football season. Throughout the game, follow along here with The Plainsman staff for live scores, news and analysis throughout the game.

2:00 4Q - Big Kat Bryant sacks Browning on 3rd and long.

3:10 4Q - Browning scrambles for 13 when the Huskies need 11. Washington driving into the Auburn 40.

6:15 4Q - TOUCHDOWN AUBURN. 10-yard run from Boobee Whitlow gives Auburn the lead. Chandler Cox Wildcat pass fails on the 2-pt conversion. AUBURN 21, WASHINGTON 16.

7:29 4Q - A 4-yard draw by Kam Martin goes for 8 yards and another first. Auburn riding its best drive of the second half.

8:58 4Q - Chandler Cox with another hook catch for a first down, followed by a Washington facemask penalty.

10:00 4Q - Browning sustains a hit by Big Kat Bryant to complete the pass to Fuller, but it's shrt of the first down. Auburn's drive begins at its own 24. 

12:06 4Q - Another great pass by Browning, but offensive PI by Ty Jones sends the play back 15 yards.

12:26 4Q - Myles Bryant gets a free run at Stidham, who is called for intentional grounding. Next play is another throwaway. Auburn offense has no rhythm. 

12:31 4Q - Targeting on Washington's Jojo McIntosh. Play under review.

14:06 4Q - FIELD GOAL WASHINGTON. Henry's 30-yard kick gives Washington the lead. WASHINGTON 16, AUBURN 15.

0:42 3Q - Ahmed goes around right for the first. Auburn has 11 penalties for 99 yards.

1:40 3Q - Browning converts again on a 3rd-down scramble. Huskies well into Auburn territory after a 15-yard facemask penalty. Darrell Williams down on the field, then walks off under his own power.

3:52 3Q - Auburn goes 3 and out. 48-yard punt from Arryn Siposs does well to pin the Huskies, but a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Tigers grants UW better field position. 

5:15 3Q - Browning is hit by Coe on an option and fumbles. Recovered by Auburn's Darrell Williams. Huge break for the Tigers on a 3rd and goal from the 3.

6:10 3Q - Igbinoghene called for a pass interference, followed up by a 22-yard run from Myles Gaskin.

7:03 3Q - After Stidham's scramble attempt comes up short on 3rd down, Carlson barely misses a 54-yarder. Washington takes over at the Auburn 34.

9:28 3Q - Back-to-back receptions from Cox result in a first down. Stidham still taking all day to make decisions in the pocket.

9:57 3Q - Henry's 40-yarder is NO GOOD. Auburn defense catches a huge break after Browning has been on fire the past two possessions. 

10:05 3Q - Fuller grabs the slant for a TD, but offensive interference brings it back.

12:02 3Q - Browning again, this time to Fuller for 24.

12:52 3Q - 22-yard completion from Browning to Jones. Browning has been red-hot since the second quarter.

13:17 3Q - Slayton screen goes nowhere. Aidan Marshall's first punt of the day goes for thirty yards. 

15:00 3Q - Nate Craig-Myers with his second catch of the day over the middle for a first. 15 yards.

HALFTIME - AUBURN 15, WASHINGTON 13.

0:42 2Q - Fake kneel by Auburn results in a first down run from Ryan Davis. 

0:43 2Q - TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON. Incredible one-handed grab from Pounds caps a 4-play, 75-yard drive that took 40 seconds. Downright surgical from Jake Browning. Javaris Davis is back in the game for Auburn.

1:23 2Q - FIELD GOAL AUBURN. Carlson is true from 53. Heck of a kick in his first game. AUBURN 15, WASHINGTON 6. 

1:40 2Q - Stidham is sacked and coughs up the pigskin. Took too long to make a read. Auburn recovers, but Ryan Davis is injured on the play. Davis walks off under his own power.

2:48 2Q - Shaun Shivers' first career carry is a toss sweep for a first down. Made a man miss in the backfield, then bulled forward for the first.

4:40 2Q -  Stidham is rocked by Ariel Ngata on 3rd and long. Coughs up the ball, but defensive holding from Byron Murphy bails out the Tigers and results in a 1st down. 

6:20 2Q - FIELD GOAL WASHINGTON. Browning tries a draw on 3rd and goal and is swallowed by Auburn's front four. Henry converts the drive into points with a 28-yarder. AUBURN 12, WASHINGTON 6.

7:41 2Q - Davis is headed to locker room under his own power. Favoring his left hand or shoulder. Jordyn Peters replaces him at Nickel.

7:41 2Q - Fuller beats Javaris Davis over the top for a 42-yard gain, complete with pass interference. Davis is down on the field.

8:10 2Q - Salvon Ahmed finds the hole in the defense for a 22-yard gallop. Huskies threatening in Auburn territory.

9:15 2Q - Browning finds Fuller wide open for a gain of 13 and the Huskies' sixth first down.

10:35 2Q - FIELD GOAL AUBURN. Carlson now 2-3 after a 28-yard make. A 63-yard drive ends in points for the Tigers. Stidham up to 11-13, 155 yards and a TD. Seth Williams with two receptions for 37 yards. AUBURN 12, WASHINGTON 3.

12:30 2Q - Kam Martin goes for 19 on a gashing run on 4th and short.

14:10 2Q - Another grab by Williams over the middle, this one for 20 yards.

15:00 2Q - Pass breakup by Dinson on an attempt to Gaskin over the middle. Huskies forced to punt.

END 1Q

- 0:29 1Q - Carlson misses wide right from 33. Auburn's impressive drive stopped short.

- 2:04 1Q - Chandler Cox throws a monster block, then grabs a swing route for 14 yards.

- 2:16 1Q - First career catch for Seth Williams goes for 18 yards and a first down.

- 3:03 1Q - 31-yarder from Henry puts UW on the board. Truesdell hits Browning from behind to force an incompletion on 3rd and long. Auburn 9, Washington 3.

- 4:30 1Q - 38-yard pass from Browning to Fuller, then tack on 15 more for T.D. Moultry's roughing the passer. Huskies at the AU 14.

- 5:39 1Q - Three kickoffs, three touchbacks for Carlson. 

- 5:41 1Q - 32-yarder from Anders Carlson is good. 9-0 Auburn. Stidham just threw his first incompletion, now 6-7 for 81 yards and a TD.

- 7:19 1Q - Stidham to Nate Craig-Myers on a 24-yard 3rd-down conversion. QB is absolutely on fire.

- 8:55 1Q - Kam Martin carries around left for the first, but a chop block brings it back. Stidham to Slayton on the backshoulder gets the first.

- 9:42 - INTERCEPTION AUBURN. Jamel Dean pulls down an errant pass from Browning. Auburn front seven was all over the Huskies, specifically Montavious Atkinson. Auburn starts from its own 36. First career interception for Dean.

- 11:51 - TOUCHDOWN AUBURN. After the timeout, Auburn throws an endzone fade to Sal Cannella for the score. 6-0 Tigers after a Malik Willis 2-pt attempt.

- 12:18 1Q - 3rd and long upcoming for Auburn after a short Kam Martin run.

- 13:09 - Another screen, this time to Kam Martin. Another first for Auburn on UW's 14.

- 13:57 1Q - 35-yard return for Ryan Davis Auburn starting on UW's 36.

- 14:12 1Q -  3 and out for the Huskies. Auburn defensive front a huge factor in pressuring Jake Browning and containing Myles Gaskin.

- 15:00 1Q - Anders Carlson boots the opening kick out of the back of the end zone. 1st and 10 Huskies.

Pregame: 

- Auburn wins the toss and defers.

- Captains for Auburn are Jarrett Stidham, Ryan Davis and Deshaun Davis.

- Auburn corner Jamel Dean has a club on his right hand. Came out of the tunnel later than the rest of the defense, was receiving special attention from the coaches.

- Receiver Devan Barrett was warming up with the defensive backs, receivers and running backs.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Live blog: Auburn takes on Washington in first top-10 matchup of CFB season” on social media.