Tigers' new-look secondary narrowly survives vaunted Washington passing attack

“We know that defense wins ball game. So, we like putting pressure on us because when you overcome the challenge it is like one of the best feelings ever.”

<p>Jeremiah Dinson (20) and Darrell Williams (49) celebrate during Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.</p>

Jeremiah Dinson (20) and Darrell Williams (49) celebrate during Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.

Losing three starters from last year’s secondary does not come without some growing pains, and that was apparent in Saturday’s 21-16 victory over No. 6 Washington. 

The new group had some miscues throughout the game – including four pass-interference calls and 296 yards given up in the air – but showed a lot of promise that they can return to the unit that was top-20 in the nation in opponent passing efficiency after forcing Browning to a mediocre 56 percent passing. 

Newly converted cornerback Noah Igbinoghene played lights out in his first start and showed no signs that last year he played on the opposite side of the ball. With Washington well aware of his lack of experience, Igbinoghene was targeted often, especially in the end zone, with not a ton of success for the Huskies. Igbinoghene led the team in pass deflections with both coming on for sure touchdown tosses without a bang-bang play on the ball by the corner. 

"I expected to be targeted as a wide receiver moving from cornerback," Igbinoghene said. "They probably didn't think I was going to be as good as I was today. I was ready for it.”

Igbinoghene was not the only one to impress as Jamel Dean got his first career interception, even while sporting a club on his right hand. 

“I just saw an opportunity," Dean said. "He was just trying to throw out of bounds and I knew that was my opportunity to get one."

Newly positioned safeties Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas played lights out with Thomas tying for the team lead in tackles and Dinson having seven tackles, one pass deflection, 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack. Freshman Smoke Monday was trusted in the most important drive of the game for the defense and came up huge for the Tigers coming up with the game-clinching sack. 

Struggles were evident with man-to-man coverage on the outside, as Browning made his payday on throwing fifty-fifty balls. Even after only completing 56 percent of his passes, Browning averaged 16 yards a completion and forced the four pass interference calls. Dean knows that the man-to-man coverage is something worth visiting in practice. 

“We can work on having tighter coverage and actually looking for the ball when we get downfield. It is just still embedded in me to still look at my man the whole time,” Dean said. 

Even with the miscues that were evident, overall, the secondary stepped up when needed. As a group, the challenge of their backs against the wall fuels their play. 

Share and discuss “Tigers' new-look secondary narrowly survives vaunted Washington passing attack ” on social media.