Sadie Argo is Miss Homecoming 2018

Sadie Argo, senior in psychology and Spanish, has been crowned Miss Homecoming 2018

Sadie Argo wins Miss Homecoming on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Sadie Argo, senior in psychology and Spanish, has been crowned Miss Homecoming 2018 after much anticipation. 

"I didn't expect that," Argo said. "I am still shaking. I am overcome with pure joy."

The Homecoming announcement was delayed for over two hours because of lightning. The Homecoming candidates sat in shelter with their friends and families as the storm passed. 

Argo's platform, centered around Project Uplift, charmed students, she said. She had two goals for campaign week: Recruit students to be mentors in the program and raise money for a scholarship to fund a Project Uplift student's education. 

Despite the loss of 53 votes because of campaign violations, per the Student Government Association, Argo won the vote. 

According to Argo, the campaign doubled their goal of funds, raising over $2,000 for the scholarship. They are working to triple it now. 

"I'm so thankful that the student body believed in this platform, and I'm excited to carry it out throughout this year," Argo said. "I am so excited." 

Argo said she will continue working to increase Auburn student involvement in Project Uplift, a mentoring program on Auburn's campus. 

According to Argo, there are currently 130 children on the waitlist for the program. 

Every child must have at least two mentors, so the program is in need of 260 mentors in addition to the 45 new student mentees who will be added to the waitlist in the coming days.  

"We are going to keep pushing forward so we can get students who have gone through the program to Auburn," Argo said. 

This story is developing. Vote counts to be added at a later date. 

Share and discuss “Sadie Argo is Miss Homecoming 2018” on social media.