Mariners Auxiliary support Navy ROTC midshipmen

<p>The Auburn University Navy ROTC helps move the rings at Ring Night&nbsp;on Thursday, April 19, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn University Navy ROTC helps move the rings at Ring Night on Thursday, April 19, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

The Auburn Mariners Auxiliary is a group of women dedicated to supporting the Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps staff and midshipmen. 

Andrea Willis, Mariners Auxiliary president, said that the Mariners’ contribution to the program includes providing midshipmen with fruit and Gatorade at their Physical Readiness Tests, Physical Fitness Tests and Combat Fitness Tests. 

“A lot of the midshipmen don’t eat in the morning because they don’t want to get sick, so it’s nice for us to bring them Gatorade and snacks after their PRTs, PFTs and CFTs,” said Sarah Lamontagne, junior in biomedical sciences. 

This organization not only helps the NROTC midshipmen financially, but it also assists them mentally and emotionally. As these Midshipmen undergo their rigorous NROTC training, these women are by their sides to support them through their journey of becoming future military leaders.

Another member of the Mariners, Taylor Watson, said the group also sends care packages to the commissioned officers.

All three women agree that becoming a Mariner is a great way to get to know the midshipmen as well. These women enjoy creating close bonds with the midshipmen as well as raising money for and encouraging them.

Not only do these women aid the Auburn NROTC midshipmen; they also care for veterans.

“A few years ago, we visited a veteran’s home and played Bingo with them,” Lamontagne said. “My favorite part of that visit was listening to all of the stories the veterans had to share.”

The Mariners also participate in the Military Ball, an annual event held to commemorate participants in the ROTC programs, and raise money through benefit nights. One of the Mariners’ most popular benefit nights is held at Marble Slab Creamery.

Every year, the Mariners participate in Jane Wayne day. Willis described the event as “being a Marine for a day.” The Mariners run courses, climb ropes and participate in other activities that the Marine ROTC men and women perform during their CFTs. 

Lamontagne has been a Mariner for three years. She said her motivation to become a Mariner came from “a want to help others.” She said she sees the Mariners as a good way to get involved in NROTC without actually going through the strenuous physical activity of the program.

Watson’s reason for joining the Mariners is even more personal. 

“I grew up in an Air Force family, and I have a lot of friends that are self-proclaimed ‘military brats,’ so I felt as though I should support ROTC programs somehow,” she said. 

Watson’s aerospace engineering major also helped in motivating her to become a Mariner.

The Mariners Auxiliary has been on Auburn’s campus since 1977. 

“My friend’s grandfather said he can remember that when he was here, the Mariners were what Auburn women aspired to be,” Willis said.

Share and discuss “Mariners Auxiliary support Navy ROTC midshipmen” on social media.